Question about Graphics ?

Sudeep Chavan

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Can any one tell me what is on board Graphics?
i am planning to buy i5 4690k and GTX 970 and 8 GB DDR3 RAM
Is ASRock Fatalty1 Z97x killer good for overclocking
can i use both Graphics at a time like Intel HD 4600 and GTX 970 at a time.
and i am confused with On Board Graphics what it mean
and ASRock Z97x killer doesn't have On board Graphics i have read this here http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/comparison-versus/2887/2096/asrock-fatal1ty-z97x-killer-vs-asus-maximus-vi-hero

tell me what does it mean, it means that i can't use that Intel HD
If i can use tell me

because i will buy GTX 970 later till that i should use Intel HD so tell me

Solution

Yes you can use the onboard video, that motherboard has both VGA, HDMI and DVI video outputs if you look at it.

Will be very slow compared to the 970 though.

TheCheapGamer

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Ok so Intel HD is the GPU that is built onto the CPU, it allows for small gaming workloads and more intensive applications than just a standard CPU. However it is not powerful at all. And no you cannot use both the Intel HD as well as a dedicated GPU.

Rancid Alan

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
You don't have to worry about your MOBO not having on board GPU, as long as you are purchasing an external graphics card......
on board GPU means that your MOBO already have a graphics processing unit(GPU) that'll provide better graphics performance than a board without an on board GPU...but on board GPU is not at all made for gaming....they're there just to reduce load from the cpu for the regular computer work.....
I hope this will clear your doubts.................cheers :ptdr:

Sudeep Chavan

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014

Yeah it cleared Totally but at last can i use Intel HD which is integrated with i5 CPU

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

You can use the onboard GPU to run a 2nd display with the dedicated card running the main display. The other thing the onboard GPU can be used for is to help with game streaming via Steam for hardware encoding. What it can't do though is combine with the dedicated card to improve the performance of a game.

TheCheapGamer

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

Sorry what I meant by that statement was that the integrated GPU and the 970 cant run in SLI in plain sense, and both power a game at the same time.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

I figured :)