Question about grounding

DanThaMan38

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Hello all, I'm going to be building my first computer, and to minimize the risk of ESD, I bought an anti-static wrist strap, but my computer case and psu are painted black. My psu is already installed and with black screws. I don't have an unpainted radiator or other piece of metal near the wooden table I'm planning on working on. Any tips?

Solution
Clip to middle screw on a wall outlet which is grounded.

In all reality ESD is overhyped, not to say it should be ignored but it is very overhyped. If you are on a non-carpeted work area and not wearing thick socks and/or a wool sweater then your risk factor is very very low.
Clip to middle screw on a wall outlet which is grounded.

In all reality ESD is overhyped, not to say it should be ignored but it is very overhyped. If you are on a non-carpeted work area and not wearing thick socks and/or a wool sweater then your risk factor is very very low.

Solution

DanThaMan38

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

I recently a tool kit that comes with unpainted screws that match the screws that came with the power power supply. If I replaced the painted screws with the unpainted screws, could I clip to those? Also, the middle screw of the closest outlet is painted white, and the top is rounded. Plus, my dad and I are going to build it together.