Question about GTX 1080 comparability

GamerLackingKnowledge

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Hey guys,

I realise its early days, though someone with technical understanding might have some insight. Could someone give me a heads up with some questions:

1. Is there going to be a bottleneck issue with my Z97-A or i5-4690k if I get a GTX 1080?

2. When I install a GTX 1080, should I keep my GTX 970 also installed in my PC for games that use DirectX 12, or is it going to cause more issues than gain?

3. Is it better to get the 1080 or get two 1070s?

Thank you in advance guys!

Solution
There are videos on Digital Foundry's channel on Youtube where they mixed an R9 390X with a GTX 970 and they said it ran sweet for AOTS.

But the card connected to the display needs to be the one with the most performance to get the best results. (In this case the R9 390X.)

I'm guessing, but maybe the code in question (i.e. game) is the key to stability here, the better it was written the better that multi GPU will work in DX12 when mixing AMD with Nvidea or Intel.
Having 2 different gpus does not cause instability. I mix amd and nvidia and intel all the time and never have issues since early window 7 days. Also nvidia has physx for different gpus so that wouldn't even be possible if that were true. Although I wouldn't suggest physx with 1080 and 970, there's no point.

No games have multi adapter support working well enough for different cards. The only one uses alternate frame rendering (like normal sli) so you'd be limited to the 970 performance. Better support may not even come this year so you may be even getting rid of the 1080 before it happens.

There are videos on Digital Foundry's channel on Youtube where they mixed an R9 390X with a GTX 970 and they said it ran sweet for AOTS.

But the card connected to the display needs to be the one with the most performance to get the best results. (In this case the R9 390X.)

I'm guessing, but maybe the code in question (i.e. game) is the key to stability here, the better it was written the better that multi GPU will work in DX12 when mixing AMD with Nvidea or Intel.

Solution