Question about gtx970

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Hi so i have an old gtx 970.
i decided to use my old parts to build a pc the specs are.
FX8350
gigabyte ga 970a d3
500gb hdd
gtx 970.
550w apevia psu

So my problem was i was getting a "graphic card error" according to beep codes. so i decided to swap the gpu for a random radeon one. and it booted up. My question is, does this mean the gtx970 is busted? or is it a problem soemwhere else? btw the hdd is fresh. no os no drivers nothing (if that matters)

Thanks for all the help

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Yeah im thinking that too but its 550w already. I know its not the most but i assumed it'll be enough for the rig. Would there be any other ways it wont work? because this gpu was working and im sure it didnt get wet/dropped or w/e the last time i tried it out.

robert.sandru

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
I ran a dual GTX970 SLI rig with a 650W supply for a couple of years without any issues - I only managed to measure 430W at the wall while doing the psu torture test in OCCT.

550W is plenty for your set up. Make sure the PCI-EX cables are connected to your 970.

Even if that GPU is a little too much for the PSU. It should still at least POST. The GPU doesn't draw much power at that time.

After spending some time gaming or other GPU intensive task. I'd expect the computer to suddenly restart or shutdown from the PSU overheating (good quality PSU). A bang or pop as some component in the PSU catastrophically fails and takes your computer out with it (cheap PSU). Smoke and fire billowing out (absolute piece of crap with no safety measures).

bignastyid

Titan

Could be a gpu or that 550w of hot garbage psu.

Depending on the manufacture date of the PSU it could have simply degraded to the point of not providing enough to power the 970. PSU do loose capacity over time and the cheaper the components the faster this degradation occurs.

What model is the radeon card you used? Did it require pci-e power connectors? Can you test the 970 in another rig or with another PSU?

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
I got it working. The 550w psu that i used only had 1 psi conencter. the gtx970 needed two. or at least thats what i did to make it work. I thought it'd be fine with 1. Thanks for all the help