Question about having two different brand 5870's in X-Fire?

jlaavenger

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Question about having two different brand 5870's in X-Fire?

I had to order HD-5870's from two different makers due to the limit one and limited availibility. One is by XFX the other by HIS. When I get these and install them do I use both brands install discs? Or did I make a mistake by not keeping with the same brand? Anything else I need to know?

Solution
I havent gotten my updates from OEMs in several years, i always get them direct from the manufacturer's site, as they are always up to date and are known to work as no one tried to tweak them.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-crossfirex-test-review/

You shouldn't have an issue. As for using the install discs... I don't think I have ever used one, I just dl the drivers off the internet. Which I have to assume you have access to....

Considering you just plunked down $800+ on video cards, I would suggest you do some research about this sort of thing.

jlaavenger

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I asked because I had an HIS X850 AGP card and upgraded to Vista. Everyone advised me to update my drivers through the HIS website as opposed to the ATI website. But I think it was largely due to the ICEQ Extreme overclock utility that came with it.