Question about HDD+SSD set up

JMaslyn

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
I have a 256g SSD and 2TB HDD set up with IRST, the HDD is the c:/ drive and all my programs, including the operating system, are stored there. Would I benefit from reinstalling windows onto the SSD? And if so, would that mess with the RAID settings?

Solution
Yes you can. You can do one of a few things.

1) If the data on the 2TB is smaller than the size of the SSD you an clone it over and not have to reinstall and start over. So if you have 150 GB of data you can do that. if you have more than 256gb of data can't.

2) You can just install windows on the SSD. You don't have to do anything to the 2TB as of now. just unplug the 2TB from the sata port, install windows, then set the SSD as the primary boot and then reconnect the 2TB. It should now always boot to SSD and if you ever need to you can boot off the 2TB in the boot menu of the bios as well. Then once you are good to go I would move everything off the 2TB, format it, then move it all back so it is just all data and not windows + data

JMaslyn

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
I only have the SSD and HDD, I mentioned RAID because when I boot up it has a screen listing RAID volumes, underneath which is a non bootable drive for caching. On the same screen it lists the disks, and both the SSD and HDD are listed as non-raid disks. I'm now guessing I don't have a raid setup and that was a faulty assumption.

With all this in mind, would I be able to back up windows and then merely reinstall it onto the SSD without getting into a mess?

Yes you can. You can do one of a few things.

1) If the data on the 2TB is smaller than the size of the SSD you an clone it over and not have to reinstall and start over. So if you have 150 GB of data you can do that. if you have more than 256gb of data can't.

2) You can just install windows on the SSD. You don't have to do anything to the 2TB as of now. just unplug the 2TB from the sata port, install windows, then set the SSD as the primary boot and then reconnect the 2TB. It should now always boot to SSD and if you ever need to you can boot off the 2TB in the boot menu of the bios as well. Then once you are good to go I would move everything off the 2TB, format it, then move it all back so it is just all data and not windows + data

Solution