Question about i-5 3570K stock heatsink

Jglitch

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Hey guys,

Sorry for the newb question, but its been so long since i built a computer.

So i just got the asus sabertooth z77 board. I bought the i-5 3570K processor as well. I realized i didn't buy a different non stock heatsink.

Is the stock one sufficient, and if I choose to change the heatsink later on is it possible to do fairly easily?

Thanks again

The stock cooler is fine as long as you don't OC, but for most aftermarket heatsinks, if the case doesn't have a cut out in the back for access to the back of the board, you'll have to remove the board to install them because you'll need to install a back plate.

Jglitch

Distinguished
May 11, 2011

Ok, I am using this case at the moment.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1215768&CatId=1521

I know its not very good but i already had it, and will upgrade to a new case in the near future.

So the stock cooler is fine for now, but if I choose to upgrade its possible right? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I just want to be sure I can switch to a better cooler in the future if I chose to do so.

Any recommendations on aftermarket products?

Thanks

I suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (because I have one personally and can say for a fact that it's a great cooler), but the one that jallenlabs linked is ok for smaller OC's on the 3570K as well. Both will probably get you to 4.3 or so.

And the mobo tray in that case looks like it has an access opening and it's removable as well, so installing an aftermarket heatsink should be relatively easy.

Jglitch

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
ok thanks to both of you appreciate the assistance. I think I am leaning towards the cooler master hyper. I'll have to go to microcenter and take a look at in person.

Jglitch

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
I went and purchased the cooler master hyper 212, its just too tight of fit for my comfort, and since im not going to be overclocking im just going to use a stock fan and change it later on if necessary

Jglitch

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Yeah Memory was so tight, but more so it wouldnt have fit or been rubbing against my case once closed up. Once I upgrade the case I will probably look into it again. It looked like a beast when I opened it up