question about i5 8400 integrated card(Intel HD Graphics 630)

Rudigarcia222

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
hello guys first sorry for my English

these days ill but a new PC mainly for gaming(gigabyte z370/i5 8400/16ram/ssd 860/tx 550)
for the classic mining reasons or for taxes reasons in my country gpu prices are very odd like they change every week

i was gonna buy a gtx1060 last week it cost 280 euro this week 350 or sth

i decided to stay with the integrated card for some time waiting prices to drop a bit or a special bargain

my question is
1) can i play some games like pillars 2 /frostpunk/ divinity original sin 2 or games like that i mean not not very demanding in at least medium playable settings????
(i know i cant go with far cry 5)
2)is doing this bad for a cpu???bad for its durability in time i mean,working 100% on higher(i guess)temp

Solution
1. You can play some games, probably on low settings. Pillars 2 will be playable, Frostpunk will not be playable, Divinity Original Sin 2 might be playable. Generally older games and most indie games won't be much of a problem.

2. It won't be bad for the CPU at all. The UHD 630 won't add more heat than the included CPU heatsink can handle. It should be fine.

IGNORE THIS PART assumed typos were not typos: Now, you said that you had a GTX 550 in the system already? Why don't you keep gaming on that? It is about 30% faster than the UHD 630 graphics on your i5. It also meets the minimum requirements on Divinity and would most certainly play that. Frsotpunk would not be playable, but the GTX 550 is still more capable than the integrated...
1. You can play some games, probably on low settings. Pillars 2 will be playable, Frostpunk will not be playable, Divinity Original Sin 2 might be playable. Generally older games and most indie games won't be much of a problem.

2. It won't be bad for the CPU at all. The UHD 630 won't add more heat than the included CPU heatsink can handle. It should be fine.

IGNORE THIS PART assumed typos were not typos: Now, you said that you had a GTX 550 in the system already? Why don't you keep gaming on that? It is about 30% faster than the UHD 630 graphics on your i5. It also meets the minimum requirements on Divinity and would most certainly play that. Frsotpunk would not be playable, but the GTX 550 is still more capable than the integrated graphics.

Solution
OP mentioned TX550, not GTX 550. It is PSU, not GPU ;)

As already mentioned, you can play most older titles on low. Some of them even medium. If you play 10 year-old games, you could probably even go for high for some of them ;)

It is not harmful to the CPU in any way.

Ah, see, I thought that was a typo... so ignore my last part.

Yeah, it's not bad for the CPU, but performance will be poor. It might only be around 15% of the performance of a GTX 1060, so many recent games will be practically unplayable, even at the lowest settings. Even for any recent games that can work, I would not expect to run them at much more than 720p at relatively low settings. Intel's integrated graphics are a bit behind the times in terms of gaming capabilities, and average performance will be somewhere around half of what even a budget card like a GT 1030 can do. I suspect some games like Pillars 2 and Divinity 2 might work alright, and can get away with somewhat lower frame rates due to their top-down perspectives, but again, I'm not sure they'll run particularly well at 1080p, so you may need to drop the resolution below that. Many games from the Xbox 360 / PS3 era should run better though.

Graphics card pricing is still messed up a bit, but prices do seem to be getting better, and hopefully you can find a reasonably good price on a card relatively soon.

TRENDING THREADS