Question Question About Incremental Backups

Dave1117

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
Currently using a seagate dashboard continuous backup. The issue is it's filled up my entire 1tb drive somehow, yet I only have 200gb of data total on my pc. I'm looking into new options.

What i'd like to know is if there's a way to back up to a single external HDD, without having to delete the current backup to create space. In other words, I don't want there to be any period of time where a backup is not present. I don't wanna have to delete the current backup to replace with the new one. Software that could update the backup automatically would be ideal. Seagate dashboard claims to be able to do this but it's failed miserably in doing so. I don't even understand how it could be using up all that space.

Seagate has the option of using "snapshots" which seem to be basically just a new copy each time you backup. Which means your backup drive must be double the capacity of your data in order to create new backups without deleting the old.

USAFRet

Titan
The better tools have functionality to know the available drive space, and delete older ones as it goes and the drive fills up.
Or, only keep X number of Full/Incremental. Your choice.

I use Macrium Reflect for this.
Macrium has a specific checkbox..."Delete the oldest when there is less than X% free space". (default to 5GB, I believe)