Question about insider preview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really doubt there'll ever be a version of Windows again, going forward, or any other commercial OS (Excludes open source platforms), that doesn't do some form of spying. As far as the versions go, my understanding is that if you're on the insider preview program, you'll always be on that, however it will be the full release version but will still be inclined to report back to Microsoft with issues as the current preview does. That could change, but of course we have no way of knowing that at this point.

I'd get a different PSU and avoid the Corsair CX, CS, VS and RM units. I'd also opt for the FX-6350 over the 6300 if you can swing a few more bucks into the budget.

Honestly, it's going to depend on the title. Some titles you can probably game Ultra with that configuration no sweat. Other titles, especially those that are extremely CPU intensive are probably going to require a lowering of settings somewhat. Consider that Witcher 3 basically takes a 4690k and Titan X down to somewhere around 50-60 FPS with everything on at 1080P and you'll understand that the demands of current and future games are rising to the point where yesterdays hardware, of which the FX-6300 that's about three years old is definitely qualified as, is going to cut it less and less as time goes on.

Much depends on the demands of the game, some will clearly be much less demanding than others, and what you've enabled in game. Do you plan to overclock the processor or graphics card at some point?

So, plan to spend more than you intended if you want to stay with the R9 290 card AND overclock. The motherboard you had selected will support FX8 core but is known to not support overclocking extremely well beyond light to medium levels. The UD3P will allow a more stable overclock at higher clock speeds.

The PSU you had selected would be lucky to just support your GPU card selection, as it's not a better quality unit and was right at the minimum specifications you would want to use with the 290 even without any overclocking. This EVGA unit should handle overclocking of the graphics card and cpu without issue. You also had no CPU cooler so overclocking would have been out of the question anyhow. I'd go with the Cryorig H7 as a better alternative to the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO as the EVO seems to be out of stock everywhere currently, plus the H7 has a better mounting system and performance anyway.

This is probably about the minimum I'd recommend if you wish to use the FX chip and that R9 290.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H24 ATX Mid Tower Case ($30.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $677.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-12 14:05 EDT-0400

I'd also plan to add some additional case fans before overclocking. I think that case only comes with a single fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.