Question About Installing Drivers for New/Replacement Prin..

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have a 5 yr. old Dell, with just two USB ports, running Win ME, with
both ports currently in use. My low-end 5 yr. old Canon printer uses one
of them. I have a new Canon photo printer I want to replace it with using
that same USB port. Since we are talking about two separate models, and
the Canon currently installed is not my default printer (I have an old dot
matrix for everyday stuff) do I need to uninstall the drivers for the
older canon printer before installing any for the new one??? If I can, I
would like to leave the drivers for the other printer in place for now for
reasons there's no point in going into right now.

Thanks. - Marilyn B.

frederick

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2004

Marilyn E. Burford wrote:

> I have a 5 yr. old Dell, with just two USB ports, running Win ME, with
> both ports currently in use. My low-end 5 yr. old Canon printer uses one
> of them. I have a new Canon photo printer I want to replace it with using
> that same USB port. Since we are talking about two separate models, and
> the Canon currently installed is not my default printer (I have an old dot
> matrix for everyday stuff) do I need to uninstall the drivers for the
> older canon printer before installing any for the new one??? If I can, I
> would like to leave the drivers for the other printer in place for now for
> reasons there's no point in going into right now.
>

> Thanks. - Marilyn B.

You shouldn't have to uninstall drivers for the old printer.
You might want to consider getting a USB 2.0 PCI card fitted. They are
not expensive. One that provides two extra USB 2.0 sockets on the rear
of the PC, and four on the front mounted on a plate that slots into a
floppy drive bay panel costs about US$20. 15 minutes to install.
This assumes that the Dell PC does have a spare PCI slot on the
motherboard, and you have a spare floppy drive bay. Another option is
to get a USB hub to give you more USB 1.1 ports.

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

If printer drivers are written properly, and have good installation
tools, they should not step on one another. That's a lot of "ifs" when
it comes to computers.

I would attempt to load the new driver(s) and see if they work
correctly, but be very careful to follow the printer driver instructions
exactly, in terms of when the printer is attached to the system, if
you have to reboot your computer and when. If all goes well and the new
printer seems to be working correctly, I'd leave the older printer
driver as it was. That should allow the printer to reconnect with it
any time you might happen to be using it. So, leave the older drivers
alone, unless they cause probolems, in which case, remove the old ones
and the new ones and reinstall.

Marilyn E. Burford wrote:

> I have a 5 yr. old Dell, with just two USB ports, running Win ME, with
> both ports currently in use. My low-end 5 yr. old Canon printer uses one
> of them. I have a new Canon photo printer I want to replace it with using
> that same USB port. Since we are talking about two separate models, and
> the Canon currently installed is not my default printer (I have an old dot
> matrix for everyday stuff) do I need to uninstall the drivers for the
> older canon printer before installing any for the new one??? If I can, I
> would like to leave the drivers for the other printer in place for now for
> reasons there's no point in going into right now.
>

> Thanks. - Marilyn B.

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Done deal. Hooked up/installed everything awhile ago. Went without a hitch
and seems fine hooked up to the USB 1.0 port. Good initial impression of
the Canon PhotoPrint software. The couple of photos I've printed just to
test things (don't want to waste too much ink) are a huge improvement over
what the old, basic, printer was
putting out.

Thanks for all the input/responses received

MB