Question Question about Intel® Turbo Boost 2.0

Remeca

Reputable
My question may be applicable to Turbo Boost 1.0 and 3.0, but my CPU is 2.0 so that's what I'm asking about.

I have an i7-4770 (just 4770, not K or other variant) 3.40 GHz, up to 3.90 GHz.I was watching the CPU utilization while I was decompressing files. From what I read, I expected the CPU to jump from 3.4 at idle up to 3.9 if I reached a certain threshold. I didn't start watching the CPU until after I'd already started, but it was using about 60% of the CPU, and the CPU was bouncing around from 3.70 to 3.82 Ghz, which is what I was expecting. What I didn't expect, was when the process was finished, and CPU utilization was down to idle and background apps, between 7-15%, CPU speed is still up there at around 3.8 GHz. Do I just have a misunderstanding of how Turbo Boost is supposed to work? Is some power setting in Windows letting it run full time instead of going back down when not under load? If I want to use less power, can I disable it, or will the difference be negligible? Appreciate any insight, thanks.

wreeNX0.jpg

TRENDING THREADS