[SOLVED] Question about Intel and AMD processors

Dec 17, 2018
I probably sound stupid asking this but, I am going to upgrade from an fx 6350 to a new processor. Now i know i have to get a new motherboard and ram. Will it be cheaper to upgrade to a ryzen 7 processor or an i7 processor? Which one will be a better choice? Also will i have to reset windows if i get one of these? Thanks :)

Solution
However, even gaming, any ryzen or Intel cpu will probably be a nice upgrade for you. I upgraded to a ryzen 1600 from my overclocked FX 6300 I used to have, which was a nice upgrade.

Keep in mind that in about 6 months or so, AMD is supposed to release zen 2, which will probably be labeled their ryzen 3000 series. Those will probably be a good performance jump over the previous ryzen chips.
This depends on workload.
If gaming is your primary focus, then generally Intel will give you slightly higher fps in games.
If game streaming, video editing is your primary focus, then Ryzen 7 with additional cores has the advantage.

And yes - after motherboard change it is recommended to reinstall windows. If you try to skip this, you'll face multiple issues - boot mode compatibility, drivers compatibility, windows activation.

However, even gaming, any ryzen or Intel cpu will probably be a nice upgrade for you. I upgraded to a ryzen 1600 from my overclocked FX 6300 I used to have, which was a nice upgrade.

Keep in mind that in about 6 months or so, AMD is supposed to release zen 2, which will probably be labeled their ryzen 3000 series. Those will probably be a good performance jump over the previous ryzen chips.

Solution

Keep in mind that over the last years increased performance has very often meant same performance but less power draw,and I don't mean to diss AMD here all the companies have done this nvidia,intel and AMD as well.

You might be right. Keep in mind, they will shrink from 12nm to 7nm with the 3000 series though. Some folks are saying could be 10% ipc gain. Of course until we see real numbers we are speculating, but here are some of the things being said.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/a3fvdj/ryzen_3000_ipc_predictions_8_core_on_b350/