[SOLVED] Question about intel turbo boost

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
So I was looking at i7 9700kf and saw 3.6ghz base frequency and max turbo frequency (idk what this means) is 4.9ghz. So does this mean cpu is overclockable to 4.9ghz or it goes from 3.6ghz to 4.9ghz when ur in a game or doing video editing?

Solution
So I was looking at i7 9700kf and saw 3.6ghz base frequency and max turbo frequency (idk what this means) is 4.9ghz. So does this mean cpu is overclockable to 4.9ghz or it goes from 3.6ghz to 4.9ghz when ur in a game or doing video editing?

Turbo boost raises the frequency during different loads depending on the temperature, power and voltage limitations of the processor.
So, if you have decent cooling capacity to keep that CPU temperature reasonable, during intensive loads(gaming, rendering, compiling, video editing) the processor will increase it's frequency until it reaches it's power limits(TDP).

For the I7 9700KF the 4.9 GHz advertised turbo frequency can be achieved only by 1 core. The all core max turbo frequency is...

Turbo boost raises the frequency during different loads depending on the temperature, power and voltage limitations of the processor.
So, if you have decent cooling capacity to keep that CPU temperature reasonable, during intensive loads(gaming, rendering, compiling, video editing) the processor will increase it's frequency until it reaches it's power limits(TDP).

For the I7 9700KF the 4.9 GHz advertised turbo frequency can be achieved only by 1 core. The all core max turbo frequency is around 4.6 GHz.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanijelPeder
Solution

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
So, if you have decent cooling capacity to keep that CPU temperature enough reasonable, during intensive loads(gaming, rendering, compiling, video editing) the processor will increase it's frequency until it reaches it's power limits(TDP).

For the I7 9700KF the 4.9 GHz advertised turbo frequency can be achieved only by 1 core. The all core max turbo frequency is around 4.6 GHz.
Okay, thanks :) I thought i'd have to OC it bcs idk how to do that nor I want to. Air cooler is enough right?

https://prnt.sc/r87dbr
This is the PC I was looking to buy, idk what cooler is this. Maybe u know?

Edit: Turns out pic is just there to show the case, cooler is scythe kotetsu mark II. They could put
Antec k240 ARGB for extra charge.

Leaving the i7 9700kf on stock speeds with the scythe cooler will be fine. If you want to OC the CPU a 240-280mm liquid cooler would be recommended.

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
Leaving the i7 9700kf on stock speeds with the scythe cooler will be fine. If you want to OC the CPU a 240-280mm liquid cooler would be recommended.
Oh, so I guess i'll keep on the air cooler since I don't want to OC and I have no intentions to do it in future, and if I will i'll just buy liquid cooler :) Thanks for helping.

Jan 3, 2020
I had air cooler on my 9700k and it was getting very hot . 90 c and spikes higher. It was basically stock style cooler nothing fancy. I went and got a 240 mm aio cooler and I never go above 60 c . So just keep eye on temps .I turned of turbo boost and I was able to play games at a normal temp while using the cheap air cooler i had. Then i turned it back on when i got the aio cooler

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
I had air cooler on my 9700k and it was getting very hot . 90 c and spikes higher. It was basically stock style cooler nothing fancy. I went and got a 240 mm aio cooler and I never go above 60 c . So just keep eye on temps .I turned of turbo boost and I was able to play games at a normal temp while using the cheap air cooler i had. Then i turned it back on when i got the aio cooler
The company i'm buying pc from they had air cooler on (scythe kotetsu mark ii), and then I told them if they could put on AIO cooler and it's just 60€ expensiver so I don't mind that. Thanks for info tho :D