Question Question about IP grabbers

Apr 2, 2020
Somebody who has been showing me hostility sent a link. I accidentally clicked on it. It was something like "joinmysite.com......".
I soon as the page opened, a Chrome warning page appeared and immediately shut automatically. I have attached an example image.

Does this mean the hack/IP grab was successful, or does it mean it was blocked?

Ralston18

Titan
Hopefully Chrome, your AV software, etc. blocked any malware.

Sometimes those warnings are just fakes trying to scare you into downloading and installing some "fix". Do not do that.

I usually hit two or three warnings per week - mostly end up just closing the browser to get out of the website. Then I do not go back for any reason.

What you can do:

First, block that "somebody" emails to you. Set up a rule that sends their emails straight to the trash and/or deletion.

Second, run full AV scans to look for viruses and malware.

Third, look in Task Manager and Task Scheduler for any unrecognize apps or processes being launched. Do not immediately delete anything you find. Research it to learn more about what it may be and what it does.

Fourth, back everything up and ensure that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Then just continue to keep an eye on your system should there be other warnings, errors, or pop-up screens, Read carefully and write down the information (if any) that is provided.

Apr 2, 2020
Hopefully Chrome, your AV software, etc. blocked any malware.

Sometimes those warnings are just fakes trying to scare you into downloading and installing some "fix". Do not do that.

I usually hit two or three warnings per week - mostly end up just closing the browser to get out of the website. Then I do not go back for any reason.

What you can do:

First, block that "somebody" emails to you. Set up a rule that sends their emails straight to the trash and/or deletion.

Second, run full AV scans to look for viruses and malware.

Third, look in Task Manager and Task Scheduler for any unrecognize apps or processes being launched. Do not immediately delete anything you find. Research it to learn more about what it may be and what it does.

Fourth, back everything up and ensure that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Then just continue to keep an eye on your system should there be other warnings, errors, or pop-up screens, Read carefully and write down the information (if any) that is provided.
Thanks for your reply.
I didn't have a chance to look at the screen. The "your connection is not private" page appeared after I clicked the link. It closed automatically within a split second.

Also, this was not an email link. This was sent by a hostile person on Facebook during an online discussion (shame on me for getting involved in any online discussion!).

Since clicking the link, I have noticed a strange icon on the top of my android screen. It looks like a standing man and a burning fire, or explosion. It's difficult to see exactly what it is.

What has happened? What can I do?

Ralston18

Titan
So you were on/using an Android and not a computer (desktop or laptop)?

As for the Facebook discussion - just let it go. Not your fault.

Becoming all too common for folks to just start trying to cause/create problems in almost any discussion in any venue.

If you see that "somebody" again - just leave the conversation.

I do not have an Android and will need to defer the meaning of that/those icons to others who may recognize your description.

Apr 2, 2020
Update: the symbols were for an app. Unrelated to this potential hacking case.

Is it likely that I've been hacked?
If the "connection not private" page comes up on Chrome, does that mean the hack/info grab hasn't taken place?

I haven't seen any info online about the "connection not private" page close automatically within a split second.

TRENDING THREADS