[SOLVED] Question about Lian Li Lancool 215 front fan(s)

duyhx48

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
I'm eyeing the Lian Li Lancool 215: https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-000Z-00069 and the specification says front can support up to 2x140mm or 3x120mm fans (excluding the pre-installed 2x200mm). Currently I have 2x140mm Noctua in my current case as front fans and I'd like to keep using them for this case.

If I understand this correctly, does this mean I can still mount these 2 fans to the front, outside of the frame for the pre-installed fans, so that would come out to 4 front fans to pull air in (same way as mounting a front radiator though I don't use one)? A lot of videos I've seen they all mount radiators so I'm just curious how this configuration would work out.
(FWIW I plan to connect the 2 200mm's to PSU from fanhub via SATA cable, don't care much about the RGB sync as long as they light up, and the rest of fans connect to mobo as they normally do).

Solution
there is no space for additional front fans.
there is absolutely zero point to adding fans to the outside of the 200mms, all they would do is hinder the 200mm from pulling in as much air and\or cause more noise with no additional cooling value.
a push\pull setup on a radiator is a completely different scenario.

if the very bottom of the case's PSU shroud is properly vented with fan mounting points, you could also add another intake here that would blow cooler air directly towards any GPU fans.

if going this route;
i would use the 2x preinstalled 200mm front intakes
1x 120mm Lian Li bottom intake
1x 140mm Noctua top-rear exhaust
1x 140mm Noctua rear exhaust

but this setup also depends on what CPU cooler you are using
this...
there is absolutely zero point to adding fans to the outside of the 200mms, all they would do is hinder the 200mm from pulling in as much air and\or cause more noise with no additional cooling value.

if the very bottom of the case's PSU shroud is properly vented with fan mounting points, you could also add another intake here that would blow cooler air directly towards any GPU fans.

if going this route;

this configuration would be based on using an air cooler

Solution

duyhx48

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014

if going this route;

this configuration would be based on using an air cooler
Thank you for the confirmation, I thought 2 layers of front fans would be redundant too. As for my current case I have 2 front Noctua intake, 2 top exhaust Cooler Master and 1 Noctua rear exhaust (total of 5). I'm using stock Wraith Stealth cooler for my R5 3600 and probably will not switch to AIO anytime soon, I don't really OC, just undervolt.

I'm thinking of doing this (kinda similar to what you suggested) once I get the 215:

• 2 x 200mm front intake (pre-installed)
  • 2 top Noctua exhaust
  • 1 rear Noctua exhaust
  • 2 Cooler Master at the bottom (above PSU and blow air to the GPU)
Would this be ideal or is there anything that needs to change?

with those giant 200mm as intake plus the Cooler Master bottom intakes,
the 3x 140mm Noctua top/rear exhaust probably is a good idea.
you should be able to set pretty low fan speed curves to get very quiet performance.

2 Cooler Master at the bottom (above PSU and blow air to the GPU)

Would this be ideal or is there anything that needs to change?
this depends on the design of the interior of the PSU shroud and if you will have drives located there.

if there is proper ventilation in the very bottom of the case that you can pull cool air in from
and there are no hot drives working in that area
you could possibly get decent cooler air being pulled in from the top of the PSU shroud.

the best scenario though would be to have the fans located directly in the very bottom of the case at the bottom of the PSU shroud.
this way more of the cooler air from outside of the case would be pulled directly in.

Reactions: duyhx48