[SOLVED] Question about lowering frequency

Dec 8, 2021
Hello,

I've got a question related to lowering frequency on the ram, i have an oldish PC, had 2x4gb stick of ram Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 2400 MHz, CL 16 version 5.20, bought new ram 2x4GB same brand same latency, same MHz, different verison 5.22. I had some issues with compatibility, didn't know why thought it was because of the different kits of ram. Without XMP or with only worked 12gb and lowering frequency to 1866 worked 16gb on voltage on 1.2 V .
After few months had random crashes on all applications, thought it was GPU driver because of windows errors but I did an memtest86 just in case it was ram issues and behold, 3k errors.

My question is can/did i fry the ram doing this? Never had this kind of issue before with different ram brands/kits
Why my motherboard sees ram 5.20 version 2133 mhz and 5.22 2400mhz? XMP puts it at 2400mhz but its odd why the motherboard sees at 2133 xD

I understand that in general it's not good to get different kits for ram even if its the same brand.

I5-7400
Asus Rog Strix b450-f
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 TI OC 4gb
Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 2400 MHz, CL 16
Seasonic SS-520GM

Solution
Do some tests.

Install only single module and try to boot your system.
Try this module in all ram slots.
If the module is faulty, it will not work in any slot.
If slot is faulty, module will not work in it.

Repeat this with all modules.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you remove the latter added ram kit and seen if your platform regains stability? Corsair are the only people on the market who have a PCB revision number and yes that often does mean that the componentry on them have been revised when compared to their prior PCB revision.

How old is the PSU in your build? As for your PSU, did you disable deep sleep states in BIOS? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Increase DDR voltage to 1.35V
Make sure Command rate is set to 2T.

My question is can/did i fry the ram doing this?
If you were not careful with your ram and didn't take precautions to avoid ESD, then damage is possible.
Or if you didn't install it properly (didn't firmly insert into ram slot).
Other than that - any damage is highly unlikely.
Why my motherboard sees ram 5.20 version 2133 mhz and 5.22 2400mhz? XMP puts it at 2400mhz but its odd why the motherboard sees at 2133 xD
Not sure, how you're checking this. Ram will run either at 2133mhz or 2400mhz. It's not possible for half to run at one speed and half - at another.
Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Dec 8, 2021
Thanks for the fast response,

Did you remove the latter added ram kit and seen if your platform regains stability? Corsair are the only people on the market who have a PCB revision number and yes that often does mean that the componentry on them have been revised when compared to their prior PCB revision.

Yes, i did remove one of the older ram kit, forgot the mention that it was older, and its stable now, no errors on memtest.
Also, when i did the upgrade, old sticks worked together (version 5.20) new sticks works together (version 5.22) 1 stick old 2 new works, 2 new one 1 works, but never 2 old 2 new.
Only when i lowered 1866 MHz (tried all until it worked

How old is the PSU in your build? As for your PSU, did you disable deep sleep states in BIOS? BIOS version for your motherboard?

PSU is around 3 to 4 years old if i remember, got it gifted from a friend, he didn't use PC that much and i want to gift it for Christmas for need people who need it xD
I didn't disable motherboard speaker, but i don't get the beep for errors only when it starts up, I watch the 3 leds (belive it is the state of the motherboard if it can boot or not)
BIOS version 1207, did it few months ago (not beta)

Not sure, how you're checking this. Ram will run either at 2133mhz or 2400mhz. It's not possible for half to run at one speed and half - at another.
Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?

Also BIOS in bios it says 2133MHz old stick and 2400MHz new stick not the motherboard*
I'm gonna post soon on imgur

BTW - listed motherboard and cpu are not compatible (AMD board and Intel cpu).
Something is wrong with your information.

Motherboard is Asus Rog Strix b250f, my mistake

Edit: View: https://imgur.com/a/JeU8fCn

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the fast response,

Yes, i did remove one of the older ram kit, forgot the mention that it was older, and its stable now, no errors on memtest.
Also, when i did the upgrade, old sticks worked together (version 5.20) new sticks works together (version 5.22) 1 stick old 2 new works, 2 new one 1 works, but never 2 old 2 new.
Only when i lowered 1866 MHz (tried all until it worked

PSU is around 3 to 4 years old if i remember, got it gifted from a friend, he didn't use PC that much and i want to gift it for Christmas for need people who need it xD
I didn't disable motherboard speaker, but i don't get the beep for errors only when it starts up, I watch the 3 leds (belive it is the state of the motherboard if it can boot or not)
BIOS version 1207, did it few months ago (not beta)

Also BIOS in bios it says 2133MHz old stick and 2400MHz new stick not the motherboard*
I'm gonna post soon on imgur

Motherboard is Asus Rog Strix b250f, my mistake

Edit: View: https://imgur.com/a/JeU8fCn
Set XMP profile for 2400 then change the voltage to 1.3 save, exit.

Dec 8, 2021
Set XMP profile for 2400 then change the voltage to 1.3 save, exit.

Didn't work sadly before and now.

Ram is running at 2400mhz.
One ram module is not being detected. Either faulty module or bent/broken pins in cpu socket.

Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - spd section also? (one screenshot per module)

Its not broken/faulty/bent etc, i didn't put ram stick back.

Two days ago worked completely fine, Yesterday started to crash, thought it was gpu, event viewer showed "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." had the first blue screen, then reading more found out it was ram issue.

I believe it's broken/fried, by me or randomly, I did some tests now and tried to boot up again the stick that i found faulty in memtest86 and, to my surprise didn't want to boot up at all, led stays yellow (red led - doesn't work, white led - works). This is a new motherboard to me and i don't have the knowledge how it works about the errors.

Still, i find it weird that it shows 2133

View: https://imgur.com/a/pqzO7Ne

Last edited: