[SOLVED] Question about manually capping GPU power

Oct 20, 2019
I’ve started playing a lot of Shell Shock which is a very low-intensity graphics game. I can run it on a very bad work laptop at 15 frames. My desktop however is a full gaming pc with an RTX 2080 TI. The settings of the game do not allow you to change your FPS and my computer decides it’s normal to push 800+ fps at all times while looking at a 2d game.

I didn’t think much of it until I noticed how much louder my fan was running while the application is open, and how quiet it is once I exit. Using a hardware monitoring software I found my GPU was 78°C running a game that doesn’t even need a graphics card to run. It’s idling at 52°.

Is there a way I can manually cap FPS easily? Is there some kind of easy program from Nvidia I can use to do it quickly and easily? I would prefer not to go into my BIOS if I can help it. I couldn’t find any setting like that in GeForce experience. I don't want my computer hitting high temps when it doesn't need to.
Thanks.

I’ve started playing a lot of Shell Shock which is a very low-intensity graphics game. I can run it on a very bad work laptop at 15 frames. My desktop however is a full gaming pc with an RTX 2080 TI. The settings of the game do not allow you to change your FPS and my computer decides it’s normal to push 800+ fps at all times while looking at a 2d game.

I didn’t think much of it until I noticed how much louder my fan was running while the application is open, and how quiet it is once I exit. Using a hardware monitoring software I found my GPU was 78°C running a game that doesn’t even need a graphics card to run. It’s idling at 52°.

Is there a way I can manually cap FPS easily? Is there some kind of easy program from Nvidia I can use to do it quickly and easily? I would prefer not to go into my BIOS if I can help it. I couldn’t find any setting like that in GeForce experience. I don't want my computer hitting high temps when it doesn't need to.
Thanks.
By Nvidia control panel
xmanage-3d-settings-in-nvidia-control-panel.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.uTo3kOMAYk.png

then

xsetting-max-frame-rate-in-nvidia.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.QmUKFalWEv.png

poorbugger

Distinguished

Thanks.
You can download msi afterburner and adjust your powerlimit there or cap the fps using rivatuner. If you have gsync or freesync monitor, you can use the feature as well. If you have non of those and just normal monitor, you can use vsync in the nvidia control panel.