[SOLVED] Question about MBR to GPT conversion

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
I want to convert my windows installation from MBR to GPT using Microsoft's MBR2GPT tool.

However I have one more drive in my system that contains games and other files. Should I disconnect that drive before I begin the conversion?

Solution
Got it. I'll do some more research to figure out how long it takes to convert, possible complications etc.

So basically, this tool finds the system drive and converts it without affecting other drives, is that correct?
yes, technically it wont even touch your files...it is relatively safe to use, but some people lost access to drive due to partition corruption...so nothing is 100% safe even if microsoft says that it is
I want to convert my windows installation from MBR to GPT using Microsoft's MBR2GPT tool.

However I have one more drive in my system that contains games and other files. Should I disconnect that drive before I begin the conversion?

It would be good practice.....don't know how experienced you are, but command line stuff can be cryptic. But maybe you are feeling adventurous?

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
It would be good practice.....don't know how experienced you are, but command line stuff can be cryptic. But maybe you are feeling adventurous?
I don't have a lot of experience with command line, I just read about how to use this MBR2GPT tool on an article on windows central. I'm just upgrading my system and wanted to modernize my old windows installation. Definitely not feeling adventurous lol.

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
no need, but you can backup drive you want to convert, as when some error happens (including loosing power)... all data gone
Got it. I'll do some more research to figure out how long it takes to convert, possible complications etc.

So basically, this tool finds the system drive and converts it without affecting other drives, is that correct?

yes, technically it wont even touch your files...it is relatively safe to use, but some people lost access to drive due to partition corruption...so nothing is 100% safe even if microsoft says that it is

Reactions: johnx125
Solution

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
well modernize...does your bios supports UEFI? without UEFI, GPT drive will not boot
Of course it does, I'm upgrading from an AM3+ platform to AM4.

I see.. The thing is I can't backup anything right now because my computer won't even try to post.
So after replacing all the parts I'll boot into windows, save all the important stuff and then do the conversion and it should be fine. 🤞🏼

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
You're assuming it actually boots from the old OS and new hardware.

This is not a given.
I know it's not a given. But the OS doesn't have any issues, it's the computer itself that won't post anymore. Plus I'm going from an AMD platform to another AMD platform.. it shouldn't have issues booting on the new hardware.

USAFRet

Titan
I know it's not a given. But the OS doesn't have any issues, it's the computer itself that won't post anymore. Plus I'm going from an AMD platform to another AMD platform.. it shouldn't have issues booting on the new hardware.
"it shouldn't have issues booting on the new hardware. "

hahahahaha....no.

Doing this, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've personally had all 3.
AMD -> AMD is NO guarantee of success. Same as Intel -> Intel.

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
"it shouldn't have issues booting on the new hardware. "

hahahahaha....no.

Doing this, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've personally had all 3.
AMD -> AMD is NO guarantee of success. Same as Intel -> Intel.
I see.. well I've only done one hardware swap so far and it was 100% successful that's why I was so confident hahaha

I hope it all works this time also.. but I don't mind reinstalling windows either since I keep my important files to a different drive.

My main priority right now is to have a computer that posts and runs.