Question About Memory/XMP in Relation to Motherboard and CPU.

estavick

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
So far I am planning on buying a G3258 CPU with an ASROCK Z97 Pro4 (with support for XMP 1.3/1.2), with this RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... Will this run with my CPU and mobo at 2133MHz? Also, I checked the memory support list for my mobo and I don't see this particular RAM on the list. Saw some G.SKILL RAMs on the list, with same speed and capacity, but with different models. The RAM that I want to get from Newegg is not on the memory support list of my mobo. Also, when I checked the description of the RAM on Newegg (under the overview tab), I saw this, "This memory kit is XMP (Extreme Memory Profiles) ready for 2nd and 3rd generation Intel Core processors." Does this mean my Pentium G3258 will not be able to utilize XMP? Or that doesn't matter since my motherboard supports XMP and OC RAM speeds up to 3100MHz?

adamjosiah

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
The g3258 is a fun cpu but honestly I don't recommend it anymore unless it's a very budget build. Multi core utilisation, even for gaming is becoming too popular and single core performance has more to it than clock speed

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

While a mobo may support a wide range of memory data rates - the CPU (and the MC (memory controller) inside determines what rates you can actually run at. Not a good idea to suggest expensive high rate DRAM when the CPU won't be able to come close to running it at that rate. A 3258 might run up around 2133 9with a nice OC on the CPU), but 2400 and up are generally K series CPUs only

estavick

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

So my motherboard and CPU would be compatible with the memory on Newegg, even though the particular RAM that I saw on Newegg is not listed under the memory support list of my mobo?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
A 3930K is nothing remotely similar to a 3258...other than they are both CPUs. Just because a mobo is rated to whatever data rates for DRAM, doesn't mean any old CPU can carry those data rates. The days of the mobo being the prime determining factor went away with the 775 (on the Intel side) when the MC was moved from the mobo to the CPU. You can't just take any CPU and have XMP magically run the sticks at any data rate - the MC in the CPU has to be capable of running them

estavick

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

Thanks for the info. Btw, were you able to check the link I posted?