question about microSata SSD required amperage

honey2015

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
I have small laptop 12.1" HP Elitebook 2530p. there was 1.8" SSD drive, but now failed.

also I have new microSata Kingston SMS200S3/120G. I suppose I can use this SSD in this laptop with adapter like this :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252400996128?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

but what worries me is amperage writen on this new SSD (SMS200S3). DC +3.3V 1A

I made search and found that Elitebook 2530p come with Toshiba MK1216GSG HDD drive (if I'm not wrong) and looks like Toshiba MK1216GSG operates at DC +3.3V 0.7

if that info is correct 2530p can run 0.7A, but where is limit of maximum amperage this laptop can provide to SSD drive ?

is safe to try to use this SMS200S3/120G, would it run short of required amperage ??

Hey there, honey2015.

Well as you've said, it depends on how much power can go towards the SSD. As for being safe, well there shouldn't be an issue with the drive or the laptop if the SSD is underpowered. It just won't run, so you can give it a try and see if it works properly.

Other than that you could check the laptop's User Manual for the maximum power output for the SSD or get in touch with the laptop manufacturer's customer support and ask about that.

Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

honey2015

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
I can't do it at this moment, because I do not have adapter. I will order it but it will take some time :

other problem is, SSD won't all time work at full power (maximum amp draw), so it can work, but start to cause problems under load, right?

I don't have user manual, I bought that laptop used before.

is there any link for laptop manufacturer contact?

Maybe you could try finding an email or a phone number then.

As for your question, as you've correctly assumed one of the possibilities is to have a drive with worse performance and some issues to arise when you need it fully powered like BSODs, freezing/hanging, etc. The other possibility is for the laptop not to be able to power it up at all an thus it won't recognize it as a working device.

honey2015

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
so, you mean if 0.7A is stated for some older HDD, that is maximum power consumption after unspin, right? but while unspin they consume way more than stated.
if that is so than surely HDD wiring must have bigger fuse.

SSD, instead, should not have these "spikes" because it do not have moving parts

adapter is ordered so lets see ;)