Question Question about mixing RAM size

villandra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I want to put 2 sticks of 4 GB 12800 DDR3 RAM, and 2 sticks of 8 GB 12800 DDR3 RAM, on my motherboard. They are otherwise identical - same manufacturer, speed, etc.

The configuration of RAM slots would be shown on the screenshot below from the motherboard manual, if I could have found a way to post it.

A paired black dimm3 and blue dimm1, a aired black dimm4 and blue dimm2, and the instructions say there must be a stick of RAM in Dimm1 and if using two sticks of RAM they must be in the two blue slots; Dimm1 and dimm2.

This is confusing. If I'm supposed to pair the RAM by slot color for dual channeling to work, why are black and blue slots physically paired together?

So, if I put two 8 GB sticks of identical RAM in the blue slots, and two 4 GB sticks of identical RAM in the black slots, will the dual channeling work?

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04. The board is Intel DH67BL. The sticks of RAM are identical except for capacity. I'm also running things in Windows in VirtualBox, which is why I need a lot of RAM.

How to post images.

That is wrong. Put the 8GB DIMMs in the 2nd and 4th slots over from the CPU which are the A2 and B2 slots. They might use different names on some boards but they are the same. Put the 4GB modules in the 1st and 3rd slots over from the CPU. That is the correct population. Whether they work or not will be a roll of the dice, as memory which is mixed and did not come together in a set of DIMMs that were tested together at the factory are never guaranteed to work together, but certainly CAN. Whether they DO is down to trying.

0GoAA8a.png

Reactions: Phaaze88