Question Question about mobile signal booster antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2022
I use my phone as a hotspot and get a 2 bar connection, even on my roof makes no difference where I am on the property.

Would a signal booster antenna out perform my phone and draw in a 3-4 bar connection?

The 2 bars I do get work good but I get random disconnects and high latency.

What is a "signal booster". It depends on the country you are in but most these type of devices are illegal so you have to be very careful that the company selling them is not trying to scam you.

There are some sold by the cell phone companies and those might be a option.

The problem is the cell phone company has purchased the right to transmit on certain frequencies and nobody else is allowed to use them. So any device not sold to by the holder to the license....ie the cell phone company .... can not transmit on their radio frequencies.

Now there are some fancy passive antenna things that might be allowed but very technically most third party antenna are also not allowed.

I would not get my hopes up on finding some magic box. Most times the cell companies offer small routers that you can put on the roof that do the same thing as your phone. It would then be run inside via a ethernet cable and you would use a normal wifi router to allow you to connect your devices. This is more sold to a business that a home users but you never know what they offer.

Jul 18, 2022
What is a "signal booster". It depends on the country you are in but most these type of devices are illegal so you have to be very careful that the company selling them is not trying to scam you.

There are some sold by the cell phone companies and those might be a option.

The problem is the cell phone company has purchased the right to transmit on certain frequencies and nobody else is allowed to use them. So any device not sold to by the holder to the license....ie the cell phone company .... can not transmit on their radio frequencies.

Now there are some fancy passive antenna things that might be allowed but very technically most third party antenna are also not allowed.

I would not get my hopes up on finding some magic box. Most times the cell companies offer small routers that you can put on the roof that do the same thing as your phone. It would then be run inside via a ethernet cable and you would use a normal wifi router to allow you to connect your devices. This is more sold to a business that a home users but you never know what they offer.

This is what I'm talking about right here
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GXDCK9...olid=2S0L7MMQVXA4P&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm 4.6 miles away from the cell tower, I average between 90-120 latency. I'm trying to decrease the latency or at least have 100 or less.
Also I looked into what you said and they say it's ok for me to use something like this.

You might get more bandwidth but I don't know if you can get less latency. Most times the latency is based on the data encoding method on the cell tower but I don't know how it would be 100ms. Then again how do you know the latency is 100ms to the tower or are you measuring the latency to some end server on the internet. In that case you have the latency to the tower along with whatever delays there are to get to though the internet. Cell towers are not always hooked directly to a fiber many times you take multiple radio hops between the towers until it gets to a master tower that has fiber.

Status
Not open for further replies.