Question about MoBo Fan headers

Setting Sun

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
I have an Asus Maximus VI Hero motherboard. It has 3x chassi fan headers, and I need to connect a total of 4 fans. So do I connect the 4th fan to the CPU fan header, or the CPU_OPT fan header?

Solution

As long as the fan has an rpm sensing capability, and preferably a PWM 4 pin on the CPU primary header, but you can use either of those headers, but if you need that fan to run at full speed you'll need to disable in the BIOS, fan speed control for any of the headers you use that you need full rpm output.

The only reason you'd have the CPU and the CPU_OPT available is if you were more than likely water cooling, and sometimes it's a good thing to have a fan connected to that main CPU header so the system thinks it has a CPU fan.

Some of...

charmer

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
1st thing u will connect is the CPU fan to the CPU fan header (obv).
the CPU_OPT is as it says an optional fan header and yes you can connect a cheasis fan to it

Is that what you were asking or is there somthing alse ?

If Not Good Luck :)

animal

Distinguished
The CPU fan header should only be used for the CPU heatsink fan, whether its stock or aftermarket. Your 4th fan could be connected to the CPU_OPT fan header if its not needed for the CPU heatsink fan or you could buy a splitter (Y) cable and connect two chassis fans to one of the other headers. I don't recommend connecting more than two fans per header.

As long as the fan has an rpm sensing capability, and preferably a PWM 4 pin on the CPU primary header, but you can use either of those headers, but if you need that fan to run at full speed you'll need to disable in the BIOS, fan speed control for any of the headers you use that you need full rpm output.

The only reason you'd have the CPU and the CPU_OPT available is if you were more than likely water cooling, and sometimes it's a good thing to have a fan connected to that main CPU header so the system thinks it has a CPU fan.

Some of us running water cooling use that header to add a specific fan blowing air onto the motherboards voltage regulators as water cooling removes the air cooling the M/B V/Rs were naturally getting from the stock air cooler.

That tricks the motherboard and cpu into thinking it's still running a stock air cooler.

Unless the motherboard itself is supplying it's own cooling for the VRs.

Solution

Setting Sun

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

I am watercooling. I went ahead and bought another fan splitter cable to solve my problem by connecting an extra fan to one of the chassi headers on the MoBo. Hopefully it won't be an issue that the motherboard doesn't detect anything on the CPU fan header?