Question about mobo without onboard video

acolyptus

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Hey guys, I just assembled a new PC, all is working well except for the fact that it won't display. It's a mobo without onboard video, so I plugged in a video card (with PCI-e riser cable) and connected it to the screen by HDMI cable, but I don't get a signal. Now what I usally do is that I just run it through the mobo's onboard video card first, install the drivers for the graphics card and then I get the signal, but in this case I can't because the mobo doesn't have onboard video graphics.

Anyone any idea on how to get this running?

Cheers.

acolyptus

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
MOBO: 990FXA-UD5
Graphics cards: Radeon r9 290 (3x) with pci-e risers (cables)
Processor: AMD FX black edition

The reason I use riser cables is because I want to use this rig for mining, so it's not in a normal computer case. The graphic cards are working, since the fans turn on. The reason I know it's the drivers is because I'm using these exact same cards in another rig, but with an onboard graphics card and that's where I plugged the HDMI in to get display for the first run.

I'm thinking that I might need to use another cable for this because HDMI requires updated drivers (I guess), would plugging in a DVI-D cable help?

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
hmm, assuming that you've got the PCIe power connectors hooked up, I'd try the DVI port but then again I had the same board (UD3 version), and was able to plug in two 7790s with 6 monitors (DVI,DVI,HDMI on both cards) without any issues at all. so you might have a bad mobo OR a bad cpu.

and it never hurts to check all power cables - 24pin mobo, 8pin mobo, PCIe, etc.

acolyptus

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
8 pins connected, 24 pins connected, the PCIe power is connected and the CPU fan is connected. Aren't 7790's different cards tho? The thing is, the other rig that I just hooked up had the exact same problem (no display through the cards with HDMI cable) and that one has a different CPU and MOBO. So I am pretty sure it's a driver issue with the card that it's not able to display anything with a HDMI cable, not even the BIOS.

Latest posts