• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

My brother's PC specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3 3200G with Wraith Stealth stock cooler, MX-4 paste
MOBO: ASUS Prime A320M-K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2666 MHz CL16 DDR4
GPU: Some HP GTX 1060 6GB from my old pre-built that I gave him to save money, applied MX-4 paste on die
STORAGE: 1x 256 GB Innovation SSD for OS + 1 TB Crucial MX500 SSD for games
CASE: be quiet! Pure Base 500 (not the DX version)
PSU: Corsair CX 2017 650W (will buy)
AIRFLOW: All Pure Wings 2, 3-pin, 900 RPM, 140mm: rear & top, and one at the front in the middle.

So I'm buying a CX 2017 650W PSU for my brother's PC since he currently has my old prebuilt's PSU, wanted him to at least be able to play until I got him a better PSU.

He currently has one case fan connected to the PSU through a Molex to 3-pin case fan adapter.

Can I reuse the same adapter on the CX 650 or should I buy one of those Noctua Molex to 3-pin/4-pin case fan adapters instead?

I'm only planning to have one case fan connected to the PSU, and the other two fans to a fan hub which is connected to the single CHA_FAN header his ASUS Prime A320M-K motherboard has. The amperage for all 3 fans is almost too high for one single CHA_FAN header, so that's why I'm doing this.

Thanks.

Solution
". I think one molex should be able to support that? "

and a lot more.

"the fan hub is not a choice since the amperage would reach 0.90 while the CHA_FAN header on his mobo supports about 1A standard. "

I think it's smart not loading that 1A fan header to .90 amps.
That's too close for my comfort.
D

Deleted member 2720853

Normally I recommend against using adapters because they can cause trouble....but if it worked that way and didn't cause trouble.....in this case, I don't see any reason not to do it again.
Yeah the current adapter didn't cause any issues, it will only have one 900 RPM 3-pin fan connected to it and that's it. I think one molex should be able to support that?

I really don't want to spend money on another adapter, and connecting the fan to the fan hub is not a choice since the amperage would reach 0.90 while the CHA_FAN header on his mobo supports about 1A standard, and that's me assuming. It could be even lower.