[SOLVED] Question about monitors

Outerocean23

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
So I was wondering my monitor can only render 60 hz fps, then why do many people say that uncapping my fps above 60 will reduce input lag? When I get much more smoother gameplay when capping fps, wouldn't that be an advantage in fps games like csgo and overwatch?

Solution
When you have 60 Hz monitor and you don't limit the FPS to 60, but instead let it to be higher than monitor supports (e.g 120, 140, 200 FPS), then what you'd get is screen tearing and/or frame skipping. The bigger the difference - the worse result there is. That can result in a choppy gameplay and motion blur, most visible in fast-paced games.

Input lag is completely another ballpark and has little to do on how many FPS your GPU is outputting. Input lag starts from the key press of mouse/KB and ends at the monitor screen. There's a lot of hardware between the two and they all contribute to input lag.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
When you have 60 Hz monitor and you don't limit the FPS to 60, but instead let it to be higher than monitor supports (e.g 120, 140, 200 FPS), then what you'd get is screen tearing and/or frame skipping. The bigger the difference - the worse result there is. That can result in a choppy gameplay and motion blur, most visible in fast-paced games.

Input lag is completely another ballpark and has little to do on how many FPS your GPU is outputting. Input lag starts from the key press of mouse/KB and ends at the monitor screen. There's a lot of hardware between the two and they all contribute to input lag.

Solution