[SOLVED] Question about moving HDD data to SSD

stinto112

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
Just ordered a new SSD, and want to use that for windows and key programs and files, and use my current HDD for gaming. Im planning on cloning the data including windows,from my current HDD to my new SSD, (which im not to sure how to do). Im wondering how I will clean my HDD so it only has games on it, nothing else once windows and my current files are on the SSD?

Im right in thinking that that the HDD retains its data, and the SSD and HDD will have the same stuff on? Or am I completely wrong.

Any help greatly appreciated :D

Solution
Just ordered a new SSD, and want to use that for windows and key programs and files, and use my current HDD for gaming. Im planning on cloning the data including windows,from my current HDD to my new SSD, (which im not to sure how to do). Im wondering how I will clean my HDD so it only has games on it, nothing else once windows and my current files are on the SSD?

Im right in thinking that that the HDD retains its data, and the SSD and HDD will have the same stuff on? Or am I completely wrong.

I'm not gonna be much help here, but I'm curious. Why do you want to clone? Limited on bandwidth? Why not just mount the new SSD like you said, install a fresh & clean version of Windows on it & any other...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

I'm not gonna be much help here, but I'm curious. Why do you want to clone? Limited on bandwidth? Why not just mount the new SSD like you said, install a fresh & clean version of Windows on it & any other key programs and then wipe the HDD and start fresh? Transfer any important files/docs/pics over to the new SSD first of course. Why not have the HDD set as simple storage and just buy 2 SSD's or 1 large one? . The SSD will just be way better overall. For both Windows, Programs & games.

Again, just curious.

Last edited:
Solution

stinto112

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
I'm not gonna be much help here, but I'm curious. Why do you want to clone? Limited on bandwidth? Why not just mount the new SSD like you said, install a fresh & clean version of Windows on it & any other key programs and then wipe the HDD and start fresh? Transfer any important files/docs/pics over to the new SSD first of course. Why not have the HDD set as simple storage and just buy 2 SSD's or 1 large one? . The SSD will just be way better overall. For both Windows, Programs & games.

Again, just curious.
How would you be able to install windows onto the SSD, whilst also having windows on the HDD at the same time? I broke af, and the SSD is only 240gb, only some space for a couple of games.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Which SDD is better for PC? Toshiba, Samsung, etc?

That's a good question. IS there a de facto best brand? I have an OG Samsung 820 120GB SSD that's gotta be over 6 years old now. I've lost track of how many gig's I've copied to and deleted off of it and it's still chugging along just fine. Boots to my Win10 desktop in about 7-10 seconds. (I think it's that fast anyways. I push the power button, sit down and I'm at my desktop. Figuratively speaking.) Not much in the way of space but you gotta love Samsung's dependability. For storage I have a low-end Mushkin 500GB SSD that I bought on sale for like $18 off Amazon that's about 2 years old now. So far, I'm impressed with it.

Thoughts anyone?