Question Question about moving windows license to new mother board - Default Key?

srbarry

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Getting ready to install a new motherboard and obviously want to transfer the Windows license. I’ve used several methods and software to read the read the license key and every method returns a generic default key.

The activation page in setting shows an activated system with a digital license, but it does not say the digital license is linked to a Microsoft account.

I actually know the original license key I used to activate the system, but I’m unsure how to go about transferring the license.

Should I try to link the license to my Microsoft account, or use the original key? I’m assuming I need to deactivate the key on the old motherboard before installing the new one.

Should I try to link the license to my Microsoft account, or use the original key? I’m assuming I need to deactivate the key on the old motherboard before installing the new one.
Use procedure for activating windows after a significant hardware change.
You don't need to deactivate license on old system manually. It gets deactivated automatically.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665

There are prerequisites for procedure to work:

Use of MS account with administrative privileges (both systems - old and new),
License has to be linked to your MS account.

You can check licenses linked to your account here:
https://account.microsoft.com/

srbarry

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Use procedure for activating windows after a significant hardware change.
You don't need to deactivate license on old system manually. It gets deactivated automatically.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665

There are prerequisites for procedure to work:

Use of MS account with administrative privileges (both systems - old and new),
License has to be linked to your MS account.

You can check licenses linked to your account here:
https://account.microsoft.com/
So, I was able to link the device/ license to my Microsoft account. I logged into my Microsoft account on the computer and on the activation page it showed that the license was activated and linked to my Microsoft account. When I log into my Microsoft account, it now shows the computer listed under my devices.

So, at this point, regardless of where the original license came from, I now seem to have a fully ‘authorized’ license linked to my account, is that correct?

And now I can follow the procedure for activating windows after a significant hardware change as you suggested. True?

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
There are different types of licenses. Some may not be transferable.
You'll have to try and see.

If your old system reports default key, then probably is was upgrade from some earlier windows version
(windows 7 or windows 8).
I'd expect license transfer to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: srbarry

srbarry

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

If your old system reports default key, then probably is was upgrade from some earlier windows version
Yes, as I originally posted, I’ve tried several methods of retrieving the stored key and they all return a default key.

Thanks for the good info 👍

srbarry

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

Also, if I could ask a quick follow up. This pc is currently running windows 10. I’d like the rebuild to run windows 11. What’s the best sequence for upgrading? Can I install a fresh windows 11 or do I need to install 10 first then upgrade?

Thanks again👍

USAFRet

Titan
Also, if I could ask a quick follow up. This pc is currently running windows 10. I’d like the rebuild to run windows 11. What’s the best sequence for upgrading? Can I install a fresh windows 11 or do I need to install 10 first then upgrade?

Thanks again👍
Is the current WIn 10 license linked to your MS account?

If so, you can probably install Win 11 on the new system, and tell it to use that previous Win 10 license.

This pc is currently running windows 10. I’d like the rebuild to run windows 11. What’s the best sequence for upgrading? Can I install a fresh windows 11 or do I need to install 10 first then upgrade?
We don't know specs of your pc. It may not be supported with windows 11.

So you have a pc with windows 10.
You want to build a new pc with windows 11 and reuse previous windows license.

1. option. Windows 11 is supported on old pc.
Then do upgrade to windows 11 on old pc.
Install windows 11 on new pc and do license transfer.

2. option Windows 11 is not supported on old pc.
Install windows 10 on new pc and do license transfer.
Then perform windows upgrade to windows 11.

TRENDING THREADS