Question about multiple wireless connections

Tommon

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
I just visited a friend, who has an Apple network. He has this Airport thing, that gives him wireless access for 2 computers thru the same hub.

Just now, I was surfing, and found the Linksys Wireless G 54Mbps Cable/DSL Router. I read thru the description but was unable to determine if it provided more than one wireless connection.

My question is, do any of the wireless routers provide more than one channel/connection?? Or will I have to hub out 2 wireless connections, to the two cards in my two pc's

Hope that makes sense

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
kinda confused about your question, but a simple interpretation is: an AP (Access Point) can provide many connections, usually something on the order of 256. Or did you mean something else? BTW, a wireless router is a router with an AP built-in.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
A router would have the number limitation based on it's ip range. AP's, theoretically, wouldn't or shouldn't have a realistic limit on the client associations. They are wireless hubs. In reality, you would only put as many nodes and the overall bandwidth could accomodate. Some actually do have a limit to the associations they can accept. Cisco's AP's for instance is 1024. Now if you know anything about networking or wireless networking, it is easy to understand how that number would never ever ever come into play on one AP. On a 802.11b AP, 10 or so associations, if transferring files, can choke it. If all your doing is sharing a broadband connection you can put as many clients on as you'd want sharing that internet connection.

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
On my access point, I think it said 128 connections max, but anything past 32 would drop speed from 11Mbps to 5Mbps and lower. But if they were all accessing at the same time kwebb68 is right, they would probably get really bogged down.