[SOLVED] Question about my cpu and cooler

Dec 20, 2021
Hi,

So i have an i9 12900k. But if i buy an "cooler master 240l v2" - Is that okay with an i9 12900k with 3080 ti?
I know almost nothing about these things... So any help is appricated

If anyone things that there are some better cooling let me know!
  • It must have RGB (person preference)
  • It must be a water cool
  • I would love, not to have a jet engine in the build... (not loud pls <3)
Thanks

Solution
In short: yes.

Long answer: With some tuning and smart placement, yes. Tuning it how you want is the whole point of getting a K processor and Z motherboard: tune it up or down as needed, within what the cooling can handle. Leaving it all on auto is kind of a waste.
Mount it at the front so the cooler can get the freshest air. When you top mount, you should over-provision because the cooler is getting sloppy seconds from EVERYTHING below it, with the gpu being the worst offender.
"But Phaaze, front mount is doing the same thing?" Well yes, but on average, it's not dumping as much heat on everything else, unless you're doing hours long blender renders or something similar.
I frankly don't know what caused cpu AIO top mounting to be so...
Dec 20, 2021
I'd think a 360 AIO would suit that cpu better.

Using this one as an example seeing how it comes with a free LGA1700 bracket.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-liquid-cooling-system-mag-series/p/N82E16835846009
MSI MAG Series CORELIQUID 360R, ARGB AIO $124.99 Save: $15.00 (10%)
Free LGA1700 bracket w/ purchase, limited offer
Hi, so i saw something lioke it. I was looking at a MSI MAG CoreLiquid 280R Would that be better than my current listed one?

Also Are we talking about a big difference in terms of cooling? and are the "MSI MAG CoreLiquid 280R" more or less loud?
Thanks

Hi, so i saw something lioke it. I was looking at a MSI MAG CoreLiquid 280R Would that be better than my current listed one?

Also Are we talking about a big difference in terms of cooling? and are the "MSI MAG CoreLiquid 280R" more or less loud?
Thanks
I've only used air cooling tbh so I'm the wrong person to ask. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on AIO's will see this thread and reply.

Reactions: Scott Fowler
Hi,

So i have an i9 12900k. But if i buy an "cooler master 240l v2" - Is that okay with an i9 12900k with 3080 ti?
I know almost nothing about these things... So any help is appricated

If anyone things that there are some better cooling let me know!
  • It must have RGB (person preference)
  • It must be a water cool
  • I would love, not to have a jet engine in the build... (not loud pls <3)
Thanks
I would not get a 240mm AIO for a 12900K, I highly recommend 360mm. I'd recommend the Corsair iCUE H150i over the MSI Mag Core Liquid.

For reference I use a 240mm Asus Strix LC240 AIO.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In short: yes.

Long answer: With some tuning and smart placement, yes. Tuning it how you want is the whole point of getting a K processor and Z motherboard: tune it up or down as needed, within what the cooling can handle. Leaving it all on auto is kind of a waste.
Mount it at the front so the cooler can get the freshest air. When you top mount, you should over-provision because the cooler is getting sloppy seconds from EVERYTHING below it, with the gpu being the worst offender.
"But Phaaze, front mount is doing the same thing?" Well yes, but on average, it's not dumping as much heat on everything else, unless you're doing hours long blender renders or something similar.
I frankly don't know what caused cpu AIO top mounting to be so popular... maybe it was the solid/semi-solid front paneled chassis?
I've run my current cpu and gpu on both air and AIOs and tried a few different configs in the H500P Mesh, which I DIY'ed a top mesh mod for.
Cpu AIO front mount is almost always more beneficial than top, until you get to the 360mm and larger sizes, after which it depends on whether the cooler is refillable or not(if you even want to bother).

UGH, just avoid MAG and MPG Coreliquids. You'll end up here or another site in a year(+/-), inquiring about temperatures. Just 'forgetaboutit'.
MEG Coreliqid is fine - pricey, but fine.

I would love, not to have a jet engine in the build... (not loud pls <3)
Depends on what you're doing with this. I could even argue 'why an AIO' if you're concerned with noise, as a good air cooler is going to end up being quieter more often than not.
There is an 'emergency limit' of sorts built into motherboards that will ignore custom fan curves when the cpu core temperatures exceed a certain threshold - around 80C - and run the fans full speed. The fans on AIOs typically have faster and louder specs.
So as a what if, for whatever scenario you do end up pushing around 80C, triggering the mobo to turn all your fans up to 100%, the AIO is going to get loud.

There are few low noise focused AIOs out there, such as Corsair's H115i Pro and H150i Pro, but the fans are crippled to low rpm so as to maintain the low noise. There's no cooling headroom like that.
So whatever your purpose and cpu is, they'd best be well within what those coolers can handle or you might not like the temperatures.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Before buying anything, figure out exactly what your case can handle. Many cases are too slim to mount a 280mm rad in the front, restricted to 240mm or 360mm (120mm varients).

Second is the motherboard. While a 12900k can hit upwards of 200w, if the motherboard follows Intel recommendations, that'll only happen for 56 seconds before it drops to PL1/TDP at 125w for continuous use, no worries for a 240mm. If the board has a higher performance mode, that'll ignore Intel recommended power limits and keep the cpu 200w+ indefinitely, not good news for a 240mm AIO. Initial temps will be fihe, but as the coolant heats up, efficiency goes out the window and temps will steadily climb until saturation.

Dec 20, 2021
Thanks for all of these feedback. Appricate every single one of them <3
Just to something clear. Is the feedback for the cooler "cooler master 240l v2" or the "MSI MAG CoreLiquid 280R "

Also, i have been looking at a "EK Water Blocks EK-AIO 360 D-RGB" Any feedback on that?

Thanks <3

Thanks for all of these feedback. Appricate every single one of them <3
Just to something clear. Is the feedback for the cooler "cooler master 240l v2" or the "MSI MAG CoreLiquid 280R "

Also, i have been looking at a "EK Water Blocks EK-AIO 360 D-RGB" Any feedback on that?

Thanks <3
Not quite sure which feedback you are referring to. For me personally I wouldn't buy the MSI, only because I've seen too many posts about premature failure, anecdotal of course but I'd play it safe. I used a Cooler Master 120mm AIO for 6 years and never had a problem with it. Still works but needed more for my new chip.

The Cooler Master 240l v2 is not a bad cooler but there are a number of better performing 240's out there, it is pretty decent value though.

In terms of the EK Water Blocks, I actually looked at it last year when I was doing my build, though the 240mm version. Not very familiar with it but it got a good review, apparently is good quality.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/ek-aio-360-d-rgb-water-cooler/9.html

I would have no issue's with buying one.

Reactions: Scott Fowler