[SOLVED] Help with my pre-built gaming PC's performance

Jan 19, 2021
Hello,
For a while i seem to notice that my CPU & GPU usage is a low so is my FPS.
Especially my GPU usage is low and doesn't give the performance I've seen other 1660ti get.

Predator G3-605

Specs:

Cpu: i7 4790 (Some days I repasted the cpu with new thermal paste)
Gpu: MSI 1660ti Ventus oc (clocked stable 100 on core clock 1000 on memory clock)
Ram: 16gb ddr3 1600mhz ram
Storage: 2 SSD's
Motherboard: I don't even know its a prebuilt pc from acer its the predator G3-605 (I later upgraded the GPU)
Power supply: 550w gold plus

I googled around for some videos from same setups, they all get much higher cpu & gpu usage. Also they get a lot more fps in games like fornite, and warzone.

My FPS in fortnite is around 144-100 when everything turned off or turned to low.
Warzone: Everything turned off or low - 70fps with drops to 60.
Since I have a 144hz monitor I really want to push the fps as high as possible.

Things I've tried to fix it: Reinstalling drivers, installing old drivers, updated drivers, played with v-sync off and on (no difference).
I checked all nvidia settings and set all to high performance I checked the windows battery option and changed it to high performance.
I checked taskmanager and changed priorities of the games (didn't help).

Temps are normal gpu never hits 80 degree's under full load cpu never hits over 75 degrees under heavy load.
Another weird thing is the insane fps drops, fornite sometimes hit 230-250fps but drops after some seconds to 100-130fps.
I hope u guys can give me some suggestions on how to fix this I'm really out of ideas and I tried almost everything.

Solution
Part of the issue is the time frame. Every video you watched was made before yesterday. It's a safe bet those were put out before multiple 'bug fixes', anti-cheater fixes, and other game optimizations that have effectively slowed down fps, in some cases, drastically.

You are also looking at a considerable difference in equipment. Those videos are almost always made by ppl running on commercial networks, dedicated gaming platforms that do not have anti-virus, office, cortana, Adobe or other 'stay-resident' startup programs etc.

It's like you may have the exact same car as that video producer, but while you are running around on pump gas, he's running around on high-octane race fuel and has a tech team that's super fine tuned the engine...
Already thanks for the help :)
For what? I 'm not sure we/I can help you. Ppl often post such issues, but often these can't be that easily solved.
1660 Ti oc you said. There may be some botteneck, but not tones of it, ofc. Personally I may get an equivalent/a lil' stronger cpu next months. But you don't even have 100% usage on either cpu or gpu. Hm. Last 1-2 times when I had drops I just had to give my PC a break and after 5-6 hours things were fine. It had some fps drops, and, yes, <70% usages, so mb I just exhausted it a bit. It's a fact we're talking 'bout different games, tho.
I decided to check youtube and see:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbX3DtKKq20

The guy also has <60 FPS moments, I think I saw even <45, from time to time, with cpu&gpu usages <70%.
I don't play this game. Mb in the forums of this game there 'd be s.th. mentioned.

You can put in action MSI Afterburner, I guess you use it, and put ticks on everything (usages, frequencies, cores, whatever, etc...everything) and put 3-4 screenshots here, at least for these moments with lower FPS, trying to catch them.
What 's the resolution you game at?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Part of the issue is the time frame. Every video you watched was made before yesterday. It's a safe bet those were put out before multiple 'bug fixes', anti-cheater fixes, and other game optimizations that have effectively slowed down fps, in some cases, drastically.

You are also looking at a considerable difference in equipment. Those videos are almost always made by ppl running on commercial networks, dedicated gaming platforms that do not have anti-virus, office, cortana, Adobe or other 'stay-resident' startup programs etc.

It's like you may have the exact same car as that video producer, but while you are running around on pump gas, he's running around on high-octane race fuel and has a tech team that's super fine tuned the engine for max performance. And you wonder why your car isn't as fast as his.

Those videos only show what is possible, not what is probable.

Solution
Jan 19, 2021
For what? I 'm not sure we/I can help you. Ppl often post such issues, but often these can't be that easily solved.

1660 Ti oc you said. There may be some botteneck, but not tones of it, ofc. Personally I may get an equivalent/a lil' stronger cpu next months. But you don't even have 100% usage on either cpu or gpu. Hm. Last 1-2 times when I had drops I just had to give my PC a break and after 5-6 hours things were fine. It had some fps drops, and, yes, <70% usages, so mb I just exhausted it a bit. It's a fact we're talking 'bout different games, tho.
I decided to check youtube and see:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbX3DtKKq20

The guy also has <60 FPS moments, I think I saw even <45, from time to time, with cpu&gpu usages <70%.
I don't play this game. Mb in the forums of this game there 'd be s.th. mentioned.

You can put in action MSI Afterburner, I guess you use it, and put ticks on everything (usages, frequencies, cores, whatever, etc...everything) and put 3-4 screenshots here, at least for these moments with lower FPS, trying to catch them.
What 's the resolution you game at?

atleast thanks for u time and answer :)

I play on 1080 p the guy in the video did had higher settings as me tho

I’m gonna check today maybe a clean instal of windows will helpt but I doubt that

Jan 19, 2021
Yes warzone is hitting 48-50 sometimes.
Already thanks for the help :)

It's like you may have the exact same car as that video producer, but while you are running around on pump gas, he's running around on high-octane race fuel and has a tech team that's super fine tuned the engine for max performance. And you wonder why your car isn't as fast as his.

Those videos only show what is possible, not what is probable.

Hey thanks for ur answer :)

I dont have any startup programs and antivirus is disabled.

I was talking about videos that were made of consumers not of the company like this one:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVnvF_WIu3Y&t=227s

he plays on "high" settings and is getting 75-80 fps when i even drop to 48fps sometimes.

i looked at the cpu usage but i couldnt take a screenshot cause of lightshot is not working in game and i dont know a way around it for now.
the usages really difference mostly 2 cpu's drops to low usage like 40-50% and it differences from cores not always the same.
the gpu is sometimes only used 39%. I know maybe is the i7 4790 a bit of a bottleneck but this?
the gpu temp isnt raising above 70-73 degrees
the cpu never above 75 degrees

the cpu core clock also sometimes drop not by a large amount but it drops back from 3,8 to like 3.6

maybe a clean install of windows
Uhh, this a bit sharp measure. Ok. Who knows. Maybe.
Take a look at the Ambassador's post, too. Game updates and interruptive programs&features may have some negative impact, would it be startup or whatever. You may want to check TaskManager and run an antivirus scan just to exclude some interesting possible reasons.
I wonder what different bottlenecks 'd show in such a thing. I wouldn't say we're talking about a hardware defect, more likely it's a hardware-hardware/hardware-software result. If we put, e.g. GTX 960 &1050 on a 6-core cpu with with low frequency, then the 960 is likely to win. But if we put them on a 4-core with high frequency, then the 1050 may show better results. Seen this 2-3 times, but idk what Afterburner is supposed to show. It'd be 100% cpu if all logical cores were on 3800-3900 MHz with full utilization, but games are optimized in different ways. Your cpu has 8 threads, but 4 cores.
Maybe upgrade, but more likely if you are enthusiast without many limits. I wouldn't buy any upgrade over the i7-4790 until July this year. Prices of cpus will most likely fall after mid-year and I wouldn't upgrade if I had it before mid-year, unless we're talking about an i7 of 9/10th gen. or an i9.
Well, if 48 is your critical minimum and it's just in one of 'those' scenarios like flying with parachutes, loading the game (in beginning) and whatever, the loss of FPS fluency is not that uncomfortable. Still this is playable.

but i couldnt take a screenshot
What? Did you do...
  • Ctrl+PrintScreen -> Paste (or Ctrl+V on Paint/IrfanView)
  • F12
  • In-game/Platform-set hotkey
How can't you make a screenshot?

Jan 19, 2021
Didnt know how to do that sorry for that.

Here i have some screenshots
Screenshot 1: https://prnt.sc/xawrah cpu is being used good (main menu screen)
Screenshot 2: https://prnt.sc/xawsvn gpu is being used good (pregame)
Screenshot 3: https://prnt.sc/xawuc9 gpu is only on 40% while only 2 are about 80% load 3 are only about 44% load other 3 are also only at 60% load

is this really normal? none of the cpu's are hitting 100% load 6 of them are about 50% load while the fps is only 71 while everything is turned competly off.

hope somebody can help

You still didn't put a picture of a moment when FPS has gone below 60.
When my games feel strange even while above 60 FPS, I usually go vsync on+-frame limiter (limiting frames to 60, as my own rate is 60 Hz. In your case you can put a frame limiter between 60 and 120 FPS. I wouldn't call the old good ddr-systems really capable of keeping solid 144, even if it's i7-4790k 4,8 GHz. It's hard to believe you occasionally go below 60 FPS while 1080p low at the same time.
Damn, you're so competitive & hell of hungry for high FPS and hi-reflex-gaming. What happens if you enable vsync and put Nvidia frame limits at the same time, like 75, 60 or 120? Don't the frame drops become less frequent?
Looking at these numbers, I 'd think between ram speed-bottleneck, PC tiredness and phantom cpu core bottleneck (?)
Have you tested your memory with MemTest64? Have you benchmarked/stress-tested your GPU and cpu somehow? Like Novabench/Furmark?
Did you try this idea with the reinstallation? I 'm not sure that this headache 'd really help, but it might magically solve things, who knows...
Next upgrade 'd better be with at least 6 cores & 12 threads for needs like yours, not to mention 8/16. And fast ram - 3200 MHz or more. It'd most likely solve things, but it costs its money.

Jan 19, 2021
Hey, yes i test my cpu and gpu with heaven benchmark firestrike and furmark.
also stress tested my cpu with the intel extreme tool.
i have tested memory with memtest64 my pc crashed 1 time but all other times just ran fine without any problems :
11.890: Allocating memory...
18.969: Starting loop 1
18.969: Stuck Address Test...
22.500: Random Data Test...
26.234: Move Data Test...
27.578: Bitpattern Test...
135.312: Starting loop 2
135.312: Stuck Address Test...
138.875: Random Data Test...
142.625: Move Data Test...
144.015: Bitpattern Test...
251.297: Starting loop 3
251.297: Stuck Address Test...
258.156: Test finished with no errors detected

with v-sync on my fps drops....

i test my cpu and gpu with
When I test my system, I use Furmark & Novabench. While game-benchmarking(pure xperience) is the important thing, if these two tests show results above avg, then it's most likely all 100% fine.

intel extreme tool
I use Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64bit.

with memtest64 my pc crashed 1 time
What 'crash' are you talking about? The tool says that if the system seems frozen or whatever it was, it is just bcs of the test running.
When I run this test, and also in every other benchmarking test, I close every possible process, leving only the mandatory ones, I start test (2 loops) and I just leave my PC for 15-20 minutes. After this this I turn off my PC for 10-20 minutes just bcs ram may behave a bit like 'tired' and everything is normal on startup.

with v-sync on my fps drops....
Yes - vsync + frame limiter. What stops you to at least give it a try? Tell me one thing: what do you prefer - constant 60+ FPS or 65-130 FPS with frame drops to 40? I think this did some minor job in games I play, though I don't need the frame limiter in my case. You can try with limits 60/75/120 to see if the drops become less frequent and framerate even.

Man, it's most likely just the limitations of ur system. Try some things, post also in reddit, Steam or the site of this game, etc. and if no results... I think I actually posted here just bcs I didn't see anyone giving some answer for long. Do you think this is an issue easy to solve?

Last edited: