Question about my new SSD and my computer

Alciel

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I just purchased a new SSD, a Crucial CT275MX300SSD1

My question is, Is there something I should do once I go to install my new SSD? Which port do I plug it into my mobo? I know its the SATA port but is there a specified one? I checked my manual but maybe I missed something.

My mobo is an MSI Z87-G45 Gaming

I intend to put a new copy of Windows 10 Home 64 Bit on my SSD, About how much will just Windows 10 use? The GB of the SSD is 275Gb.

Solution
Hey there, @Alciel!

Would the SSD be your only storage device attached to your motherboard?
As far as I remember the 64-bit Windows 10 OS uses around 20 GB, so your 275 GB SSD is definitely enough for your system to work, as @Luminary mentioned. However, it's highly recommended to unplug any other SATA drives (HDDs, SSDs) while clean installing Windows onto the SSD. This is how you prevent any potential OS confusion which could cause quite the booting headaches.

The solid-state drive uses the same SATA ports as the mechanical hard drives. Since you will be booting from it, I'd suggest plugging it in the first available SATA III (6 Gb/s) port on the mobo and connecting it to the PSU as well via the Molex cable. Here's a...
Hey there, @Alciel!

Would the SSD be your only storage device attached to your motherboard?
As far as I remember the 64-bit Windows 10 OS uses around 20 GB, so your 275 GB SSD is definitely enough for your system to work, as @Luminary mentioned. However, it's highly recommended to unplug any other SATA drives (HDDs, SSDs) while clean installing Windows onto the SSD. This is how you prevent any potential OS confusion which could cause quite the booting headaches.

The solid-state drive uses the same SATA ports as the mechanical hard drives. Since you will be booting from it, I'd suggest plugging it in the first available SATA III (6 Gb/s) port on the mobo and connecting it to the PSU as well via the Molex cable. Here's a tutorial that can shed some light on How to physically install your SSD.

After you have had Windows 10 up and running on the SSD, plug back any secondary HDDs you might have and re-format them through Disk Management to get rid of any previous Windows installations or redundant files. If you have any important content on those drives currently, make sure you back it up somewhere off-site (e.g. to an external HDD) and make sure those files are safe.

If you have any further doubts or questions, let us know! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution