Question about my old RAM

JasonLawd

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Hey, I bought my computer years ago and wanted to add more ram into it. I'd like to find the same ram and add an extra 4GB's into it. I know you can't mix RAM or something but it's very hard to find the current ram that's in my computer as it's really old.

My current RAM:
4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz @7-7-7 timings:
http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/4GB_G_Skill_DDR3_PC3_12800_1600MHz_Ripjaw_Series-7_7_7_24-Dual_Channel_kit_for_Intel_P55/index.html

I can find the same RAM but the timings or something is different, does that matter? Will it work in my computer?

Solution
Adding more ram is very troublesome especially if the kit dont match specs if they match specs it shouldnt be a problem theorically but if you dont want any troubles go with replacing as wolfshadow points out

davmazin

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
Adding more ram is very troublesome especially if the kit dont match specs if they match specs it shouldnt be a problem theorically but if you dont want any troubles go with replacing as wolfshadow points out

Solution

Dethan1999

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
The speeds can sometimes be an issue. It depends on the motherboard and CPU's way of handling RAM. My CPU can't handle 1600 mhz ram, but I am running 1600 mhz RAM just fine. My CPU actually configures the RAM to lower speeds rather than 1600 mhz. But some CPUs dont have that feature. And from what I've known, it's quite hard to find out if different speeds will work for a motherboard or CPU. I would just do a test.