Question about my results

joe_weller18

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
On speedtest.net the results say I have 6.8mbps up and about 1.7 down with 12ping 4.5ms jitter and 0 packet loss. I play on xbox. The router is 1 room away, It’s not wired, frontier is my provider, and I have up to 6 devices on at once. In all my games it will start off fine (bit laggy but defiantly playable) then, I’ll get a freeze and all hell will break loose. Players will be jumping everywhere, switching a gun for example will take up to 8 seconds and I’ll be teleporting everywhere. (Give it maybe 3 matches and it’ll be better for a little) I’m wondering if those results are good enough for gaming or if I need to fix something. I’m not quite sure what plan I have but I know for sure it isn’t the smallest frontier plan. Any ideas would be great.
Thanks!
P.S. speedtest results are always the same even on the laggy periods, and happens when no devices are on.

Solution
if wired the lag is the same, you should target at least a 12Mbps line

eventually your router is a problem as well
unplug power wait for 1minute, plug in again, try gaming

is the firmware of the router up to date?

let frontier check the line for problems

joe_weller18

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018

Yah same things happen on other games. What should I be looking for to dodge the lag. How much more up and down?

if wired the lag is the same, you should target at least a 12Mbps line

eventually your router is a problem as well
unplug power wait for 1minute, plug in again, try gaming

is the firmware of the router up to date?

let frontier check the line for problems

Solution
I suspect you need to do more detailed testing.

If you always get those speed test numbers and you are running wired and there there are no other device using bandwidth you should have no problems.

The connection speed is more than enough for a game console just playing games. Most games require well under 1mbps up and down so they run on almost any internet connection. Now if you had someone watching netflix or youtube at the same time then your connection is a little small but you claim you are the only one on and it does this.

Pretty much unless your game console is defective you are missing something in your testing. You have eliminated almost all the possible sources and if that is really true then you get into the issues of some overload in the path between your house and the game company that does not exist t the speed test servers, That is something only your ISP can fix but it is not likely your issue.