[SOLVED] Question About My Setup and Corsair CV650 PSU

Apr 8, 2020
Hi folks I have the below setup (note that CPU + PSU and + Mobo are gifts). But after reading the discussions on the forum, I started to be worried about the PSU. Do you think it is harmful to use this PSU with this setup? What could go wrong other than short PSU lifespan (which I do not care I can replace it after 1-2 years)?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dvN94n

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($173.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($163.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($699.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CV 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1247.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-06 08:29 EDT-0400

Regards,
Side

Solution
I am going to disagree. Get a better PSU. You've got a mid-range modern CPU, and a high end GPU. Do not cut corners on the PSU - that's the heart of your system, and is a safety device.

Jonnyguru works for Corsair, and while the wattage is plenty, the CV650 is in his list of: "my "it will do" suggestions. They all have double forward topologies. I wouldn't use any of the below, but if you're on a really tight budget, they are options." (emphasis mine)

If you were on a really tight budget and needed a recommendation, I'd say to see the second link in my sig. Given, though, that this is a $1200+ system, I strongly recommend that you read the write up from the FIRST link in my sig thoroughly. That...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I am going to disagree. Get a better PSU. You've got a mid-range modern CPU, and a high end GPU. Do not cut corners on the PSU - that's the heart of your system, and is a safety device.

Jonnyguru works for Corsair, and while the wattage is plenty, the CV650 is in his list of: "my "it will do" suggestions. They all have double forward topologies. I wouldn't use any of the below, but if you're on a really tight budget, they are options." (emphasis mine)

If you were on a really tight budget and needed a recommendation, I'd say to see the second link in my sig. Given, though, that this is a $1200+ system, I strongly recommend that you read the write up from the FIRST link in my sig thoroughly. That is your MUST READ for getting a PSU.

From a high quality model, even 550W is good for your system specs. The TL;DR version for me is:
  • Corsair TX/TXm, RM/RMx, HX/HXi, or AX/AXi
  • Seasonic Focus or Prime
but there are other decent models as well. Note that the Prime from Seasonic and the H and A models from Corsair are the top models, and will cost quite a bit.

Reactions: SideHw
Solution
Apr 8, 2020

If you were on a really tight budget and needed a recommendation, I'd say to see the second link in my sig. Given, though, that this is a $1200+ system, I strongly recommend that you read the write up from the FIRST link in my sig thoroughly. That is your MUST READ for getting a PSU.

From a high quality model, even 550W is good for your system specs. The TL;DR version for me is:
  • Corsair TX/TXm, RM/RMx, HX/HXi, or AX/AXi
  • Seasonic Focus or Prime
but there are other decent models as well. Note that the Prime from Seasonic and the H and A models from Corsair are the top models, and will cost quite a bit.

Thanks for the detailed explanation King_V. But I have some additional questions:

Assuming I could not replace it immediately and had to use this for at least 1 or 2 years, what could be the problem that this PSU can cause? Again, shortening the lifespan of the PSU and little bit of coil whine is not a big deal for me atm. Also, since this PSU is not groupreg, I think it is somewhat safe to use.

I would be very happy if you can give more details about the possible harms of using this PSU in my current rig. As I have observed, there are many different views about Tier B PSUs with high end GPUs.

Thanks for the detailed explanation King_V. But I have some additional questions:

Assuming I could not replace it immediately and had to use this for at least 1 or 2 years, what could be the problem that this PSU can cause? Again, shortening the lifespan of the PSU and little bit of coil whine is not a big deal for me atm. Also, since this PSU is not groupreg, I think it is somewhat safe to use.

I would be very happy if you can give more details about the possible harms of using this PSU in my current rig. As I have observed, there are many different views about Tier B PSUs with high end GPUs.

Nothing. It should easily last five years. Fan would probably be the first thing to go (Yate Loon sleeve bearing fan).

The problem with double forward PSUs is they tend to make more coil whine noise when used with high end graphics cards. If you go ahead and run Unigine Valley or Catzilla right now and put your ear to the PSU, you'll probably hear a bunch of buzzing and screeching noises. It's not "dangerous". Just annoying.

Reactions: King_V
Apr 8, 2020
Nothing. It should easily last five years. Fan would probably be the first thing to go (Yate Loon sleeve bearing fan).

The problem with double forward PSUs is they tend to make more coil whine noise when used with high end graphics cards. If you go ahead and run Unigine Valley or Catzilla right now and put your ear to the PSU, you'll probably hear a bunch of buzzing and screeching noises. It's not "dangerous". Just annoying.

Thank you for clarifying that my rig will not explode :) Actually, I have experienced it in my older rig when I replaced GTX 760 with a GTX 1060, oddly coil whine was present when PC is idle (for most of the people it is exact opposite).

What do you think about the ripples? Is it "that" harmful for the caps on the other hw components (especially the GPU) ?

Apr 8, 2020
Actually, the CV has fairly low ripple/noise: ftp://members.cybenetics.report/PDF_Reports/d/cybenetics_dNw.pdf

Only as high as 50.1% when pushed to 100%.

Having coil whine at no/low load is not unusual. It just comes from a differet side of the PSU. Usually the PFC choke coil will make noise at low loads. Output choke at high loads. Rinse, repeat.

Okay then, after informative comments of you guys, I will stick with this PSU for at least 1 or 2 years, of course if I can stand to coil whine.

Anything extra I should keep in mind with this setup considering PSU quality (for example OCing etc.) ?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Overclocking tends to have a disproportionate power draw to the benefit you get. ie: an overclock of 5% of clock speed might require a 10% or more increase in draw.

If you plan on overclocking for the future, then when you do get a higher quality PSU, I suppose it might be worth getting a 650W unit of one of the better ones, just to give you an extra margin of safety.

I might be playing it a bit overly-cautious in that regard, though.