[SOLVED] Question about old SCSI hard drive

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
I have an old 1GB IBM 45G9467 hard drive, and would like to get some files from it, wipe it, and and then sell it. Its value is about $~200. Unfortunately, it uses a 50-pin SCSI interface similar to IDE, but not IDE. I did try plugging in just the power (it takes 4-pin Molex/Peripheral) and it didn't make any noise. Would it not having a SCSI controller impact its activity and noise output, or is it dead and mostly worthless?
Before you ask, I tried connecting it to the motherboard that it came from. It did not power on. Most likely the power supply is dead, and I can't use a modern one because it takes a weird 12-pin broken into 2 6-pins.
I have found converters from 50-pin internal SCSI to IDE on Amazon, but they are $~500.
Thanks!

Solution
Do you have access to an older PC with a PCI slot? If so, finding an old SCSI adapter should be doable for much less than the price above. With a SCSI device, you have to have the proper cabling/adapter and it must be terminated properly for the chain of devices to work.

Personally, unless you are certain that you just can't live without what is on the HDD, I wouldn't spend any money on this project.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do you have access to an older PC with a PCI slot? If so, finding an old SCSI adapter should be doable for much less than the price above. With a SCSI device, you have to have the proper cabling/adapter and it must be terminated properly for the chain of devices to work.

Personally, unless you are certain that you just can't live without what is on the HDD, I wouldn't spend any money on this project.

Solution
SCSI drives are often configured with a delayed start option. Alternatively they can be configured to power up in standby mode, and then require a start command from the OS. These settings are often determined by jumpers. Can you show us a detailed photo of the PCB?

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
I think it works.
I have a 600W power supply in a tower that has only barely enough wiggle room to power everything (I don't do much demanding stuff on it so it's fine) but when I plug in the hard drive my Zip drive acts like I just turned on the computer.
I also found a PCI-X card that I'm going to get.

TRENDING THREADS