Question about overclocking

Dragonic

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Uadggghhh *rage screams*.... For some reason my 970 refuses to accept overclock, sometimes it is stable, others not and I dunno why and it bugs me that I can't squeeze all the performance out of my card even if people with the exact same card (970 G1 Gaming) manage to and when I research/ask about people just say "Uh, their lucky".

Why? Why can't I get lets say +150 clock and +500 mem rock solid?

Cuz I'm running a PCIe 3.0 card in a 2.0 mobo?
Cuz the heat blows directly at the power connector cables when it comes out of the card and after sometime it gets somewhat hot (the cable)?
Cuz my CS650M PSU can't hold it?
Or out of all I just got one in maybe a thousand that got one connector inside the card 0,000001
millimeter away from where it should be and because of that it's not accepting the overclock?

If someone could give me a good answer for that I'd be thankful.

Solution
I understand your rage xD i have an gtx 950 and i see other people add 150mhz to core clock and 490 to Mem but for me i cant even add 70 mhz! i have to go with 55mhz but i can get my mem to an offset of +694mhz! all the fourms i saw say that they had a max of 3771 of mem mhz! i have 4000 mhz
You will have to increase your Core clock by 10 everytime and benchmark and see the result..if they improve go 10 again! keep on doing this until you see graphic artifacts (Black lines or blocks on screen) Then find a stable OC,Lets say you oced your core by +150 and got no graphic artifacts but it is unstable..the you just lost the silicon lottery! Just like cpus when OCing them you run into unstable numbers,but the you increase your voltage and...

Erwin06

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
I understand your rage xD i have an gtx 950 and i see other people add 150mhz to core clock and 490 to Mem but for me i cant even add 70 mhz! i have to go with 55mhz but i can get my mem to an offset of +694mhz! all the fourms i saw say that they had a max of 3771 of mem mhz! i have 4000 mhz
You will have to increase your Core clock by 10 everytime and benchmark and see the result..if they improve go 10 again! keep on doing this until you see graphic artifacts (Black lines or blocks on screen) Then find a stable OC,Lets say you oced your core by +150 and got no graphic artifacts but it is unstable..the you just lost the silicon lottery! Just like cpus when OCing them you run into unstable numbers,but the you increase your voltage and boom! every things stable! Just like that you need to increase your voltage a bit by bit (i dont have a gtx 970 soo i dont know what is the safe number for voltage but look for it on google) Careful! increasing voltage will also increase temp! if your card goes above 86c turn down your voltage! dont want a burnt card! Better safe then sorry! also use MSi AFTERBURNER or EVGA's OC tool...Becz evga has an unlocked voltage bar and MSI is easy but will have to tweak it to unlock the voltage bar!
And about your mem..go by 20s up and up when your run into pinl/purple courled dots or even white..go down by 10s until they are gone! Hope this helps (Sorry for the bad Grammer..i hate to correct my self :p)

Solution
With Nvidia, in terms of overclocking, you're basically playing the silicon lottery... What I mean by that is that the factories spit those cards out so quickly that not all of them have the same quality silicon within the GPU itself, when even a 1/10 of a nanometer can disrupt the ability to overclock to the full potential of the GPU if it had perfect silicon in it. Nothing you can do about it.

Erwin06

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

true :) but he can try my way which is finding the stable voltage and oc..going up by 10s

Nothing wrong with your way, I just wanted to point out what I thought was to blame as to his card not being able to OC as well as others.

Erwin06

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

Yeah np :p

Dragonic

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Yes, I tried ocing 10 by 10. I managed to get +150 clock (1542 mhz) with +0 mem with +0,045v. The thing is that sometimes higher overclocks like +150 clock and +500 mem are stable, others not so I gave up on that after 2 weeks of attempts to stable it... Damn NVIDIA sucks...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts