Question Question about overheating.

Sep 21, 2019
I just bought a new pc with the following specs: Intel Xeon X5650, 8GB RAM, AMD R9 290. I was playing Battlefield 1 and Fallout 4, and they run pretty good, its playable and im fine with the graphics.

But theres something bugging me the whole time, and thats the tempratures. I checked for both games and although they run fine, both seem to hang around 75 to 87 degrees celcius. Now my question is, should i worry? Will my pc be overheated in a week when playing like this, or should i not worry about it so much.

Sorry for the weird english by the way,

Remeca

Reputable
If it isn't going above 87C for long periods of time, you're right on the upper limit of where you want to be. It'll probably be fine, but if you aren't comfortable with running up there, a new CPU cooler should bring you down to more comfortable temps.

Sep 21, 2019
If it isn't going above 87C for long periods of time, you're right on the upper limit of where you want to be. It'll probably be fine, but if you aren't comfortable with running up there, a new CPU cooler should bring you down to more comfortable temps.

Okay, im not familiar with pc parts etc at all, so i hope you can help me, probaly a dumb question, but what do i need to pay attention too when buying a cooler? Is there any compatabilty i need to look out for (like if it fits in my mother board or anything else)

Remeca

Reputable
Most modern cpu coolers can fit multiple socket types, just make sure it fits lga1366. For example, the Cooler Master 212 EVO would work on your socket, but the other thing you need to check for is clearance in your case. That heatsink is 160mm tall, so you would need at least that much room between your cpu and the side of the case.

Sep 21, 2019
Most modern cpu coolers can fit multiple socket types, just make sure it fits lga1366. For example, the Cooler Master 212 EVO would work on your socket, but the other thing you need to check for is clearance in your case. That heatsink is 160mm tall, so you would need at least that much room between your cpu and the side of the case.

Alright, so just to be sure, the hyper 212 EVO is what you mean right? Anyhow, massive thanks for your help!

Sep 21, 2019
Yeah, that's the one. Just check all the dimensions before you buy, but if it's good, that should really bring your temperature down.

Okay, how would i know if it fits? (i mean i know i should measure etc.) but does it matter how my pc is standing? Does it matter where it is blowing? I have a rough idea of how it could fit, but it would be blowing into the direction where another fan is, do i need to remove that fan?

Remeca

Reputable
You're not overclocking or anything so you don't need to worry too much about airflow. If you have any fans in front, make sure they're blowing in, and any on the back are blowing out. Orientation of the case doesn't matter. The fan on the heatsink is blowing air into the heatsink, not away from it.

Remeca

Reputable
If space is tight, you could go lower profile like this, if that's too expensive even something like this should be an improvement over your stock cooler, especially if you're using a stock Intel cooler vs a stock OEM one. You probably don't have rgb connection on your mobo, but the fan will still work.

Remeca

Reputable
Height is the main limiting factor, there is usually room around the CPU for good size heatsinks. Worst case scenario is ram slots are too close to the CPU, and you would have to remove the heatsink to take the ram out. What motherboard and CPU cooler are you currently using?

Sep 21, 2019
If space is tight, you could go lower profile like this, if that's too expensive even something like this should be an improvement over your stock cooler, especially if you're using a stock Intel cooler vs a stock OEM one. You probably don't have rgb connection on your mobo, but the fan will still work.

Okay, the geminll4 is what ill buy i think. How much you think it would cool it with?

Remeca

Reputable
Yeah the Cooler Master GeminII M4. You can turn your fan speed up if you want, but it may not help much, it'll get noisy, and the computer will increase the fan speed itself as required anyways. If you're worried about overheating, I wouldn't worry too much. If the CPU starts to get dangerously hot, it will start throttling to cool down. If that hasn't happened yet, it will be fine till your new cooler arrives.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Despite what some believe, Size does matter. Motherboard manufacturers do have to follow certain guidelines and one of those is there needs to be a certain amount of space around the socket for a cpu cooler. They can't put anything in there, it's blank. But thats an area restriction, not a height restriction, so they'll pack in the heatsinks where they can.

Consequently, heatsink designers have cranked up the heatsinks to sit higher off the mobo, to clear those heatsinks and mosfets and everything else.

As to size, your cpu uses a certain amount of power, so puts out a certain amount of heat as a result. The job of a cpu cooler is to remove that heat, resulting in operable heat range cpu temps. The hotter the cpu runs, the higher the wattage rating of the cooler needs to be. That Xeon is a 95w cpu. Fully expect it to put out over 150w in heat.

The 140w CM hyper212 isn't enough. You'll need to be looking at cpu coolers 1.5-2x the 95w TDP rating. That means coolers ranging from @ 160-200w.

The CM hyper212 is a budget cpu, great for 65w cpus, not so good on 95w cpus.

Cryorig H5, Noctua NH-U12A, Scythe Fuma/Mugen 5 etc. Those are midrange coolers and have not only the capacity to deal with your Xeon comfortably, but also the ability to keep the temps down without running at maximum fan speeds.

Reactions: CompuTronix
Sep 21, 2019
Despite what some believe, Size does matter. Motherboard manufacturers do have to follow certain guidelines and one of those is there needs to be a certain amount of space around the socket for a cpu cooler. They can't put anything in there, it's blank. But thats an area restriction, not a height restriction, so they'll pack in the heatsinks where they can.

Consequently, heatsink designers have cranked up the heatsinks to sit higher off the mobo, to clear those heatsinks and mosfets and everything else.

As to size, your cpu uses a certain amount of power, so puts out a certain amount of heat as a result. The job of a cpu cooler is to remove that heat, resulting in operable heat range cpu temps. The hotter the cpu runs, the higher the wattage rating of the cooler needs to be. That Xeon is a 95w cpu. Fully expect it to put out over 150w in heat.

The 140w CM hyper212 isn't enough. You'll need to be looking at cpu coolers 1.5-2x the 95w TDP rating. That means coolers ranging from @ 160-200w.

The CM hyper212 is a budget cpu, great for 65w cpus, not so good on 95w cpus.

Cryorig H5, Noctua NH-U12A, Scythe Fuma/Mugen 5 etc. Those are midrange coolers and have not only the capacity to deal with your Xeon comfortably, but also the ability to keep the temps down without running at maximum fan speeds.

Okay, i have 2 questions. 1. so what your saying is that it will fit, because mobo manufactures have to leave certain amount of room? 2. Do i have to remove my mother board? I dont know anything about building pc's and i dont wanna break my new pc right away, so would you know how i need to install it?