Question about PAIR

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

Question: Can a discard be claimed to form a PAIR? Anyone knows of any
specific rules that deal with PAIRS in other variants of mahjong? Further
discussions may be extended to cover: Should this move be allowed - why yes
and why not?

Cheers!
--
Cofa Tsui
www.iMahjong.com

=======================
Following is a message received at the IMJ website:

QUOTE
Are there specific rules regarding pairs? We do not allow picking up of a
tile to make a pair except to mahjong. We do not allow a joker to be used in
a pair. I have printed the international Mahjong Rules but do not see
anything related to pairs. Are these rules correct?
UNQUOTE

.... and my reply to the inquirer:

Thank you for your message. Firstly, INTERNATIONAL MAHJONG and IMJ are
registered trademarks so whenever you write the name of the specific rule
set you can rightfully write the first letters in upper case, i.e.,
International Mahjong Rules, or IMJ Rules as a short form.

Secondly, I would like to answer your question about PAIRS based on IMJ
Rules:
In IMJ there are rules related to "pairs": articles 5.10, 5.11 and 19.1. And
you are right, you cannot claim a discard to form a pair and disclose the
pair unless you are claiming a discard to form a pair (a set of eyes) AND
win at the same time. This restriction is explained in more details in
articles 20 and 21 (articles 21.1 through 21.5).

Finally, International Mahjong Rules does not use "joker", however, it is a
comprehensive rule set under its own system. I plan to hold a "Quest To Win
Contest" soon - Anyone who can prove any incompleteness and inconsistency in
IMJ Rules may be qualified to win cash prize. Please visit website
www.iMahjong.com or the mahjong newsgroup (rec.games.mahjong) regularly for
further announcement.

I'll also post your question to the mahjong newsgroup (rec.games.mahjong) in
case someone could reply you based on rules of other variants (i.e., those
variants that use "joker"). Note that your ID info will be withheld in the
newsgroup posting.

"Cofa Tsui" <IMJ@cofatsuiTAKETHISOFF.com> wrote in message
> Question: Can a discard be claimed to form a PAIR? Anyone knows of any
> specific rules that deal with PAIRS in other variants of mahjong? Further
> discussions may be extended to cover: Should this move be allowed - why
> yes and why not?

Well, claiming a discard for a pair would mean that the opponents can dump
the remaining two tiles in the set. If they show up in a deal, I guess the
player can upgrade it to a pung. But it just seems awkward, at least to me.

Is the player doing this going for an all-pairs hand?

Simon Davosi

--
American Code Of Laws For Mah-Jongg: http://tinyurl.com/445ld

"Simon Davosi" <mahjong@nospam.xx> wrote in message
> "Cofa Tsui" <IMJ@cofatsuiTAKETHISOFF.com> wrote in message
>> Question: Can a discard be claimed to form a PAIR? Anyone knows of any
>> specific rules that deal with PAIRS in other variants of mahjong? Further
>> discussions may be extended to cover: Should this move be allowed - why
>> yes and why not?
>
> Well, claiming a discard for a pair would mean that the opponents can dump
> the remaining two tiles in the set. If they show up in a deal, I guess the
> player can upgrade it to a pung. But it just seems awkward, at least to
> me.

I don't know of any variants that allow claiming a discard to form a pair
(and to disclose the pair on the display line), but if it is allowed, it may
be handled in the way similar to claiming a discard to form a pung:
- One can claim a discard to form a pair, then discard a tile.
- If one draws/has an identical tile in hand, he can upgrade that pair into
pung, and draw a replacement tile.
- If other player can win on the disclosed tile, the tile can be "robbed"
(robbing a pung?).
- A disclosed pair cannot be upgraded to pung with a discard.

And the game should be able to progress without any problem.

> Is the player doing this going for an all-pairs hand?

- Yes, for sure only if the player has displayed a 2nd pair (and more pairs)
and not upgrading them.

Anything missing?

P.S. The original inquirer still wonders if using a joker for a pair is
allowed. I guess no one will do that, given the advantageous features of a
joker?!

--
Cofa Tsui
www.iMahjong.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

"Cofa Tsui" wrote
> P.S. The original inquirer still wonders if using a joker for a pair is
> allowed.

It sounds like your inquirer is playing American-style mah-jongg. If so,
your inquirer should ask an expert on American mah-jongg (like the NMJL, the
AMJA, or me).

Tom

"Tom Sloper" <tomsterSPAM@sloperamaSPAM.com> wrote in message
> "Cofa Tsui" wrote
>> P.S. The original inquirer still wonders if using a joker for a pair is
>> allowed.
>
> It sounds like your inquirer is playing American-style mah-jongg. If so,
> your inquirer should ask an expert on American mah-jongg (like the NMJL,
> the AMJA, or me).

Sounds obviously reasonable, Tom. I'll pass this message to her!
--
Cofa Tsui
www.iMahjong.com