Question Question about drive partitions ?

Mar 31, 2023
Hi, around 30 minutes ago, one of my hdd started making grinding sounds so i decided to unplug it from the pc, i didn t knew which one was making that noise so i decided to unplug them separately until the sound is gone.

So, my drives are partitioned as follows :
SSD : C: 250 gb
HDDs: E and F both partioned with 1tb

Initially i thought that each partition was each a separate HDD from my pc, but as i unplugged one of my HDD I saw that both my partitions were gone (E and F) whilst if I unplug the other one only E is gone, the drive with which I had some problems in the last week or so, so I kinda knew that one of them might fail.
Sadly, i didn t manage to get a back up from that drive so I will just have to live with it until i get a new one to back it up to.

Now my question is: Why were both partitions gone when i unplugged one of them but only one was gone when i unplugged the other one? To mention that both of them are 1TB HDD s and the partitions were both 1TB each.
Thank you.

Mar 31, 2023
Plug everything in, and show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.
might do that tommorow to be honest, if i plug both it goes instantly into scanning and repairing drive E: , can't even cancel it or something plus that grinding noise lowkey is torturing me a little bit

"not even finding it anymore"........what is "it"?

I see 3 disks: zero, 1, and 2.

Did you hope to see more than 3?

Disk 1 appears to be a 4 TB drive with nothing on it at all. As far as you know, what was on it previously....if anything.

Trying to understand what that picture would have looked like when all was well.

Mar 31, 2023
"not even finding it anymore"........what is "it"?

I see 3 disks: zero, 1, and 2.

Did you hope to see more than 3?

Disk 1 appears to be a 4 TB drive with nothing on it at all. As far as you know, what was on it previously....if anything.

Trying to understand what that picture would have looked like when all was well.
Disk 1 should ve had the same storage as disk 2, allocated and to see drive E: in file explorer. The 3.86gb unallocated is a recurring problem in seagate hdds. Also i don t get from where you got that it s a 4TB HDD, they are both 1TB.

Mar 31, 2023
My error.

I mistook 3.86 GB for 3.86 TB.

What was previously on Disk 1? Do you have backups of whatever that was?

Have you attempted to format Disk 1?

It may be dead entirely.
meh, i had some games and different files not important, I don t have a backup, i was considering to do one when i started seeing the problems with the drive, but it was too late I see.
I'll just get a new one and hope that it will be recoverable with third party software or something.

Disk 1 is a failed Seagate drive. A capacity of 3.86GiB is a symptom of a head or media fault. The drive is unable to access the reserved firmware area on the platters so it reverts to identifying itself with an Identify Device template stored in the ROM on the PCB.