Question Question about PCI-E connections

zeriasis

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
Hello,

So I just recently bought a 2080 and I'm not even getting as solid frame rates as I was with my R9 390. I was wondering when you hook up the power cables when it has two PCI-E connections does it matter if you use the same cable with two PCI-E connections on the end or two separate cables? Is there any difference or prefferred methods to get better performance out of my card. I know my CPU is bottle necking my GPU but the frame rates for games are not solid they flux way more with the new graphics card. I'm not sure if this is because of my cpu (I5 4690k) or is it because I'm using two different power cables with PCI-E connections on the end?

zeriasis

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
So here is the issue I am having. When playing games and these are games I normally play it is running fine not a huge increase in FPS seems like a decrease in times it will freeze for a few seconds and when it comes back the game has still advanced so the entire game didn't freeze and I notice that evertime my FPS starts back up from 1 and works it's way back up to near where it was very quickly and I don't know enough about CPU and GPU's to determine if it is bottlenecking that is causing my current issue.

I ordered a I7 9700k and will be doing a motherboard and ram this upcoming weekend and will be able to test manually if it is but I'd had to get all this new stuff and it be something with what I am doing.

I also did use DDU and uninstalled all my old drivers.

Is there any specific testing that I can do?

Also after running the games and playing with the settings it still decides to do it so I even pushed my overclock to 4GHz on my CPU. I can't go any higher or it will BSOD within minutes and so far no changes.

Last edited:

zeriasis

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
I've left my task manager open and haven't seen anything else try to open. My CPU is running at 100% quite a bit of the time which leads me to believe it is a bottle neck but again I don't know enough to make that determination. The SSD that the games are on is a brand new Samsung and everything ran just fine with the last GPU. The only new program I have is the GeoForce Experience and the Precision X1 for my GPU.

TRENDING THREADS