Question Question about PCI-E Slot

NowJoJo

Reputable
Apr 7, 2017
Hello,

It's been awhile since I've been on these forums, but now I'm back! And I've updated my long outdated signature lol :)

I have a question regarding a friends PC, he has a ASUS PRIME Z390-P motherboard, he is hoping to upgrade to a 30xx card once they are released and would like to put his current 1070 in the second slot to use for rendering and such, the 30xx would be in slot 1 for gaming.

The motherboard says this for the specs:
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or x8+x4+x4)
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode)

So basically question is if he puts the 1070 in the x4 mode slot will it still be okay to render and use for various tasks other than gaming since that is what his main card will be for.

Thanks!

The 1070 would certainly be bottlenecked in second slot, but that hugely depends on the application. In some it would be noticeable, in others not at all. Why not try and see ;) Just make sure you set the second slot manually to PCI.e 3.0 in BIOS, as 2.0 is 2x slower.

NowJoJo

Reputable
Apr 7, 2017
The 1070 would certainly be bottlenecked in second slot, but that hugely depends on the application. In some it would be noticeable, in others not at all. Why not try and see ;) Just make sure you set the second slot manually to PCI.e 3.0 in BIOS, as 2.0 is 2x slower.
So worst case is that it will be slow? It will still show up and work, just slowly?