Question question about pcie 4.0 running on pci 3.0

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
i was wonddering if i where to get a pci 4.0 drive to future proof and ran it on a pcie 3.0 i know i wouldnt get the 4.0 speeds however i am wondering if id get the random iop speeds since there generaly slower then read and write?

USAFRet

Titan
  1. 'futureproof' for storage is a lie. Minus a random event like a flood in Thailand, or the idiot chia miners, storage prices go down over time.
  2. Outside of looking at benchmark numbers with a microscope, you'd be hard pressed to tell the actual difference between PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 drives, no matter what port they are in.

rwh531

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
From my understanding of it the pcie bus of each generation far exceeds the components of that same generation and it is highly unlikely the pcie bus will ever be bottlenecks. Then again thats info from the days of sli/crossfire and daisychaining multiple graphics cards not nvme drives

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Every iteration of the pci-e standards has doubled the potential bandwidth. That's all it's done. Any gains in IOPS or TRW or speeds of drives or gpu memory or clocks have come from the manufacturer, the abilities of the silicon, the upgrades in the controller technology etc.

But none of that speed affects any mouse, any keyboard which barely make use of the USB2.0 bandwidth, never mind anything bigger like pci-e. It's why Intel skipped pci-e 4.0 entirely on mainstream boards, there was no real gains to be had by investing in it with pci-e 5.0 on the horizon.

There's realistically only a few circumstances where 4 is honestly better than 3, and it's not in gaming or general pc usage. If you can't saturate the bandwidth, or at least use far more than 3 can provide, it's just potential, not actual.