Question Question about pcie connection to RTX 4080 16GB

Brotherofwar

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013
Hello everyone hope you are doing fine.
I have a question.
I bought the rtx 4080 but only now realized that my PSU (Rm850x) only has 2 PCIe cables config 6+2 .
But i need 3 from what i understand to connect the 12VHPWR
What are my options?
Do i have to buy another psu?
From what ive searched online daisy chain is not an optimal solution since it can cause damage to both GPU and PSU.
Any help is welcome.
Thank you for the time.

Brotherofwar

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013
Thank you for the time.
Cabo-de-alimenta-o-gpu-de-8-pinos-8-pinos-6-2-pinos-para-asus-ax1500i.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Last edited:

mjbn1977

Distinguished
You do not buy another PSU. You have a very good PSU and it will work just fine with the cards (I have the same one). You can use two of the PCIe power cables that came with your RMx PSU and use one of them with the daisy chain connector. The cables in RMx are good quality and can deliver the required 150Watt per 6+2 connector (other daisy chained cables from 3rd party might not be able to do that, but the ones from Corsair that come with the RM PSUs are pretty good quality). I use two cables, one with daisy chain, since the RM850x only has 4 PCIe outlet plugs and I need two already for my power hungry CPU. No issues. Cables don't even get warm even if I overclock the card and it draws 350 watt. Most of the time the card only draws 230 to 310 Watts.

So you all set....just make sure you insert the 12pin connector that came with you video card fully into the card and don't bend it to close to the plug.