Question Question about PERMISSIONS

petrellamd

Honorable
May 5, 2017
Hello all! :)

To both protect and share my data, I have all my Documents on a removable disk (an SD card); this has been an affectation of mine since Windows 98 days. When Libraries were introduced in Windows 7, I was still able to "point" the Libraries to my Removable disk.

Lately, I have been using that Removable disk to transfer files from one PC at home to another PC at home (when not all PC's are up and running, I just lazily use the physical disk, instead of transferring files using our home network). However, when trying to Access Folders on the Removable disk, I receive a "You Do Not Have Permission" error message (when I'm on the "target" PC). I hate going through the exercise of explicitly adding each and every possible User via the Security tab for each and every Folder. Can I defeat this Security "feature" by going to the original PC, and "un-linking" the disk from the "Libraries" on that PC? And, how would I do that? (I've already tried "Restore Defaults" under the Libraries icon on the Start Menu. Did I inadvertently create add'l problems by doing that?)

Thanks in advance for any insights that may lead to a solution! ;-) Mario

USAFRet

Titan
The Libraries are what carries the permissions. The files underneath do not.

If you were to just make a folder on your USB flash drive, and save things to there...no permissions issues at all, no matter what system you are using.