Question about Personal Use vs. System Builder License.

luci5r

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I'm building a Workstation and I bough the OEM System Builder Windows 8 64-Bit DVD. The License states that when installing, I have to choose between "System Builder" or "Personal Use" license.

I will be using the Workstation for personal use; not for resale; and I have no intention of selling or transferring the license to anybody else. That implies that I should select the "Personal Use" license when asked.

Only question I have is: At some point in the future when, for example, Windows 9, or the next version of Windows is released, will I be able to purchase the "Upgrade" version of that next Windows and upgrade my existing Personal Use Windows 8 License, or will I have to purchase the "Full" version only?

Upgrade licenses are usually far cheaper then full licenses; I'm just not clear whether or not you can use an Upgrade license on a Personal Use license later down the road.

Thanks!

luci5r

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

So there is no defined certainty of whether or not you'll be able to purchase an upgrade license in future if you use Personal Use license now? That's odd. I really thought there would be a certain definition for this sort of thing.

ram1009

Distinguished

IMHO, the first rule where Microsoft is concerned is that there are no rules. I'm sure they feel big enough to make whatever rules make them the most money.