[SOLVED] Question about pm01 case LEDs and what happened whne i tried to boot up.

Oct 23, 2020
Hello.

Im a first time builder and i switched my PC case to a primera pm01 and i installed a new power supply with it (RMx 850). I've done enough research to know what goes where for all of the components bar stuff like case lights.

I connected the 2-Pin LED hub molex to a 6-pin to molex cable . When i pressed the power on button, the LEDs turned on very briefly and then turned off. The fans spun for about 4 seconds and then the system switched itself off. Then it switched itself on and booted to a setup screen where it told me to 'press entersetup to recover bios. I pressed F1 and it went into bios. I switched it off and removed the LED connection and tried again. It booted into windows just fine

I ran Userbenchmark to see if everything was performing the same before and it was fine. I know UBM isnt good but i have a good idea of how my pc performs / what scores it should get. So everything seems fine now.

My question is: WTF happened?

Did i just burn out my LEDs?
Did my motherboard just 'react'/ dectect a new PSU? Because i didnt use any of the same cables?

CMOS battery i think is fine because it remembers the time, stock settings and my overclocking profiles. Could anyone confirm ?

I'm anxious that I've damaged something.

Solution
I don't think the case rgb will be compatible with the motherboard rgb.
So I'd just connect the rgb hub to power (molex), the leds and the led switch on the case.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
I connected the 2-Pin LED hub molex to a 6-pin to molex cable . From what to what?
When i pressed the power on button, the LEDs turned on very briefly - what LEDs?
The fans spun for about 4 seconds - what fans?
I switched it off and removed the LED connection and tried again. So you connected two things together that make a problem?

Oct 23, 2020
I connected the 2-Pin LED hub molex to a 6-pin to molex cable . From what to what?
When i pressed the power on button, the LEDs turned on very briefly - what LEDs?
The fans spun for about 4 seconds - what fans?
I switched it off and removed the LED connection and tried again. So you connected two things together that make a problem?

1). I dont know how to explain this sorry. I connected them to each other. The case LED strips are were all connected to a hub and a cable coming off that hub was a 2-Pin male molex. I connected THAT to a 4 pin female molex header that has a 6-pin connector on the other end. The 6-pin was plugged into PSU.

2.) The case LED strips - it comes with them preinstalled

3.) The case fans - they're all connected properly as far as i can tell. I have 6 fans - 4 connected to mobo CHA headers and remaining 2 on fan hub. So issue cant be there.

I think the issue occured with the PSU somehow.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
OK - you connected a rgb hub to the PSU Molex - What rgb hub? make and model?
See https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-Z390M-PLUS/overview/

"With 5050 RGB strips connected to the RGB header, you can create your own stunning multicolor lighting displays with static, blinking, fading, and strobing effects.
* The RGB-strip header supports 5050 RGB LED strips with a max power rating of 3A (12V). For maximum brightness, strip length should not exceed 3m.
** RGB LED Strips are sold separately."

OK - case led strips - do these comply with the Asus requirements? (above)
Case fans

Oct 23, 2020
OK - you connected a rgb hub to the PSU Molex - What rgb hub? make and model?
See https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-Z390M-PLUS/overview/

"With 5050 RGB strips connected to the RGB header, you can create your own stunning multicolor lighting displays with static, blinking, fading, and strobing effects.
* The RGB-strip header supports 5050 RGB LED strips with a max power rating of 3A (12V). For maximum brightness, strip length should not exceed 3m.
** RGB LED Strips are sold separately."

OK - case led strips - do these comply with the Asus requirements? (above)
Case fans

I'm not sure how to determine that ; its just LED/RGB hub that came with the case. Sorry, I'm not making things easy by not describing things properly but i appreciate the help. So let me start again with images to make things easier

IMAGE -1 - The RGB/LED HUB

My case is a PM01 Silverstone Primeria - this is the RGB HUB that all the seem to connect to

Z0ex6vr.jpg

Image 2 - The 2 pin male Molex that came off the RGB hub and i connected it to the 4 pin female molex (IMAGE 3)

i0EwjNa.jpg

IMAGE - 3

Tjfj9gY.jpg

On the other end of that 4 pin molex is a 6-PIN peripheral connector that goes into PSU. I've obviously plugged that in.

I turned on PC and you know the rest....

As you tell, there are NO connections to the motherboard hence im confused about why you're asking about MOBO.

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020
I have looked at the manual and it mentions nothing about this. The manual i have is the same as the one that can be found on their site.

Did set up the connections correctly though?

Because im worried i may have overvolted the LEDs or damaged psu somehow . From what i can see online, no one has connected LED strips in this manner. As in, they'll connect the molex to some adapter or theyll solder the cables to something. What am i missing??

Ill contact them tomorrow

EDIT: No sorry i did find something on the manual! It says Please connect the 4 pin peripheral power connector to PSU to power it. Im not sure what that looks like.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020
IBX6Sie.jpg

Theres also this section

Im fairly certain what cable its talking about and what header but im a bit hesitant to plug into mobo. Idk if its safer to plug into PSU or mobo and potentially ruin system

Last edited: