Question about power connector

sapped

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
hello i recently bought an Sapphire HD 6850 gfx card, it requires the card to connect to the power supply

the PCIe connector provided in the Sapphire package only have 4 out of the 6 pins used (4 powercables running under it) while the other two pin connect to each other

the PCIe connector of my PSU have all of its 6 pin used (6 powercables)

i wonder which one i should use? also my psu is only 460w, so my gfx card will need as much power as it needs

so which one should i use?? i know what i posted is a bit confusing, but i don't know what to call those things, i will provide pictures soon to make it clearer

sapped

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
okay i got the pics of the connectors, the main difference are the number of wires

this is the connector of the psu, it has 6 wires attached

this is the connector given by the gfx card, it has 5 wires with one connecting two pins

on the graphics card box it says i should use the one given, but some video by amd shows they just use the psu's connector, im really confused which one to use

absxiith

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Is the hd 6850 running smoothly with the 460w coolermaster psu?I am getting this card and have also considered the Evga GTX 550 ti.Which ones better?And I have the same psu-a 460 w coolermaster.....

sapped

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
yeah, its running quite good actually, but I have never overclocked it
and don't plan on doing so.

from what I heard, its possible to flash a hd6850 to a hd6870, although
I have never taken a look into that.