Question about power consumption

magnus_m6

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I get a graphic card that needs, let's say, 750W PSU. The power consumption of my pc will always be 750W or it depends on what I'm doing, for example: hard gaming, watching movie or reading a pdf file.

I ask this because to be honest I was planning to get a graphic card to play games occasionally but I didn't think about the power bill.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Well, the amount of power a graphics card says it need is always overkill. You also need to consider the other components...mostly the CPU. But no, the power usage will always vary...I don't pay the electric bill so I have never thought of that!

What are the specs of your soon to be build?

Ecolouge

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
Well, the amount of power a graphics card says it need is always overkill. You also need to consider the other components...mostly the CPU. But no, the power usage will always vary...I don't pay the electric bill so I have never thought of that!

What are the specs of your soon to be build?

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Recommended PSUs are typically for worst case scenarios. E.g. they assume you're running a high end CPU (e.g. i7), and you're stressing both the CPU and GPU. And then you typically add a bit on to that total for margin of error and/or breathing room. So even during hard gaming, it shouldn't be that high, and light use like movie or pdf will be much lower.

TRENDING THREADS